Fisher Price Turntable DIY help
Nov 7, 2005 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dmunky

100+ Head-Fier
So I've always wanted to modify my 1978 Fisher Price turntable , but never had the means to open up the case due to its security screws... until I found this article in Make Magazine Link.

With a quick trip to Home Depot, I picked up some hexagonal allen wrenches for 3 bucks and then some Silly Putty at Party City. After a few minutes with my handy dandy Dremel tool, I grinded the allen wrench down and it worked perfectly.

So now I have access to the innards. Now I want to replace the internal speakers with better ones and possibly use the arm and needle off of a better turntable (but still keep it contained in the yellow plastic).

Most importantly, I want to add an output jack so that I can hook it up to an external source like speakers or headphones. I will need to be able make the internal speakers shut off when something is plugged into the output jack.

Does anyone with some DIY knowledge know of a way to do this? Thanks

Pics Added

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 21
You definitely need to replace those caps with BlackGate Standards, for starters.

EDIT: Wait, you're serious?

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 21
Yeah I'm serious. I know it's not going to sound like audiophile gear, but I want to keep it around for its nostalgic value, but at least make it sound better than it currently is.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 21
I took out the speaker today, and I found that the speaker was covered in a huge glob of dust and debris collect over 30 or so years. I cleaned it off, and haven't noticed any major sound differences (it's overall just really bad). I took it out of the turntable and played some Frank Sinatra and Doors. It sounds a lot less recessed, but I think I'm going to go do a lil shopping at Rat Shack and Home Depot.

So far I want to replace the security bit screws with regular ones.
If I do see a better non paper speaker in some clearance bin, i'll see what I can do with it.

I've also noticed that the sound is particularly recessed. I might wanna make some sort of rubber gasket for it (or just use hot glue) and have the sound only come out of the sound vent (which I might replace with a metal grill) instead of going all over the insides of the record player.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 21
You could put a little Fostex driver in there!
Don't go too nutty, but a cool project for nostalgic reasons.

When does the Fisher-Price group buy start?

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 21
wow, that's way cool. Just don't spend to much on it, and build in a switch and a cmoy amp so you can plug your 'phones in when you don't want to listen to it on the speaker.
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 21
I happen to have one of those too, or rather my four year old does.
I don't see any point in upgrading it, even for fun, because of all the motor noise and vibration.

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
You definitely need to replace those caps with BlackGate Standards, for starters.

EDIT: Wait, you're serious?

The existing caps are probably all dried out after 30 years.

And at any rate, electrolytic caps have come a very long way in the last 10 years, let alone 30 years.

You could replace them with an economical decent quality cap like a Nichicon UPW and maybe improve things.

But, this is the wrong forum, and to improve the sound you may have to replace everything under the hood.

Maybe diyaudio?

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj
The existing caps are probably all dried out after 30 years.

And at any rate, electrolytic caps have come a very long way in the last 10 years, let alone 30 years.

You could replace them with an economical decent quality cap like a Nichicon UPW and maybe improve things.

But, this is the wrong forum, and to improve the sound you may have to replace everything under the hood.

Maybe diyaudio?

I'd say definitely put in your own RIAA phono stage altogether.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
You could put a little Fostex driver in there!
Don't go too nutty, but a cool project for nostalgic reasons.

When does the Fisher-Price group buy start?

Actually, if you check ebay there's tons of em out there for cheap. And if you're lucky, you can find one at Goodwill.

Well my trip to Ratshack proved to be disappointing. They told me to go to a car audio place, and I showed them the little speaker and they told me that they'd have something the same size, but totally different wattage. I proceeded to go to Best Buy and Circut City to see if they had anything. The car audio people just laughed that I was trying to find a speaker that only need 1.5 watts.

Well the specs are 16 Ohms at 1.5 Watts. I've never come across anything like this. On a good note, with some more listening I've discovered some snare drum that I've never noticed before cleaning it. Well the journey will continue.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmunky
Actually, if you check ebay there's tons of em out there for cheap. And if you're lucky, you can find one at Goodwill.

Well my trip to Ratshack proved to be disappointing. They told me to go to a car audio place, and I showed them the little speaker and they told me that they'd have something the same size, but totally different wattage. I proceeded to go to Best Buy and Circut City to see if they had anything. The car audio people just laughed that I was trying to find a speaker that only need 1.5 watts.

Well the specs are 16 Ohms at 1.5 Watts. I've never come across anything like this. On a good note, with some more listening I've discovered some snare drum that I've never noticed before cleaning it. Well the journey will continue.

just tell the car sterio guys the size &rough shape speaker you need, and the impedance. it is totally acceptable to "overbuy" a speaker (based on advertised (********) max power handling) for this app. also, you may be able to "get away with" an 8 ohm speaker in place of that one, alternately you can add an 8-ohm resistor in series with an 8-ohm speaker to "match" impedances if necessary. this will GREATLY increase your choices.

i own a pair of 1" tweeters than can handle 15W each
smily_headphones1.gif
seriously, it says so on the box....

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj

Here's an idea -- say, replace the arm with a Thorens TP-16, the body with a Thorens TD-160, the platter with a Thorens platter, the cord with a Thorens power cord, well... you get the idea. Just keep the Fisher-Price logo...
biggrin.gif

P.S. my dear sir dmunky, you are mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back