Fischer Audio Silver Bullet vs. Monster Turbine
Nov 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

illissius

New Head-Fier
I don't mean to spam, but with Black Friday and all it would be nice to have information quickly, and I feel the specific question I'm left with might be getting lost at the end of all my monologuing in the previous thread. (If everyone's actually read to the end of it and simply has nothing to add, my apologies.)

Question is: does anyone have experience with both Fischer Audio Silver Bullets and Monster Turbines? How do they compare in an absolute sense, not taking price into account? They're both part of the over-9000-IEMs-compared thread, but a more direct comparison would be helpful. In addition to overall sound quality and clarity, what I'm looking for is deep bass (not necessarily over-loud in the mid/upper-bass (maybe yes, maybe no), but excellent capability for the lower ends), and good soundstage -- I like to feel like I'm standing in the middle of the band, and they're playing around me.

Would the Turbines be considered a clear upgrade over the Silver Bullets (similar sound, higher quality), or is it more a matter of taste (different sound)? In the former case, how much of one? (How much of a premium would you be willing to pay?) In the latter case, how do they differ?

Comparisons of either one to original-series V-Moda Vibes would also be helpful if you can provide one, for reference. (And, of course, if there's something else around better than either of them, feel free to suggest it.)

I can get the Bullets for $60+shipping; the Monsters vary wildly from $60 to $150 depending on deals and first/secondhandedness, complicated further by the fact that most places don't like shipping to Europe.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 7
Well luckily for you i have both the Pana's and The SB 
biggrin.gif

The bass of the HJE has much more kick and the SB is more expansive. The soundstage of the SB is bigger while the HJE feels like you are in a smaller concert hall. The details captured by the HJE are superior while the SB are more clear. Separation on the HJE is better though there is mosre air between the instruments in the SB if that makes sense. I listen to metal like you and I was listening to Gojira (FLAC) with the SB's and it felt like the sky was going to come crashing down, not because it was loud but it was so clear and immense and HUGE. It was one of the most surreal music moments in my life. So it has more of that booming bass as opposed to kick, though it does have that as well.

It's really close between the two, certain tracks sound better on the each phone. Mastodon sounds better on SB but Agalloch sounds better on HJE. Where the HJE is far superior is the build quality. The cables on the SB just look pathetic and isolation is also better on the HJE. 

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks a bunch. I continue to feel based on your description that the SBs are what I would prefer between the two, it being a shame that my preference in sound and looks didn't end up landing in the same phone as the one with the awesome durability. To try and extrapolate a little (if you listen to these), would you say the HJE900s do better with Isis while, say, Rosetta is realized better by the SBs?

I'd still love to see a comparison between the Silver Bullets and the Turbines, if anyone has them.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Hmmm, haven't listened to Isis or Rosetta with these phones yet so can't help you there sorry! Alot comes down to how the song is produced, the HJE is more critical of bad recordings than the SB which is strange because the SB sounds more crystalline (not sibilant mind you). If a song is very crowded in the high end (lots of cymbals crashing and lots of fuzz in the guitar distortion) it can get a little overpowering with the HJE's, but once again this comes down to the production. If the song is well produced the HJE will shine. ​

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Also, I will add that I bought the Monster Miles Davis as a gift and when I was trying it out, it was much more mid centric and didn't have as big a soundstage as the SB. I don't know how similar they are to the monster turbines

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 7
Guess I might cut the Gordian knot and get both, then maybe sell one of them. I just jumped on the lightning deal for the Monsters at Amazon. If I do I'll report back to answer my own question (;

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 7
Good luck and I hope you find the sound you are looking for!
beyersmile.png

Quote:
Guess I might cut the Gordian knot and get both, then maybe sell one of them. I just jumped on the lightning deal for the Monsters at Amazon. If I do I'll report back to answer my own question (;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back