Fischer Audio FA-011 without an amp
Dec 28, 2011 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

patthebaker17

New Head-Fier
i want to buy them, but i do not have an amp :/
i will mostly be playing from my computer, i do not have a sound card yet, but im planning to buy it.
is it still worth the buy? if not can you get give me some suggestions on cans like them? in the same price range?

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
i want to buy them, but i do not have an amp :/
i will mostly be playing from my computer, i do not have a sound card yet, but im planning to buy it.
is it still worth the buy? if not can you get give me some suggestions on cans like them? in the same price range?

Heya,

A $30 Asus Xonar DG sound card will do everything you need. Get the FA-011's, they're fantastic. You can use them without an amp, but they will not have the bottom end or full volume without some juice behind them.

Other headphones that are similar would be things like the Beyer DT990 PRO (but it's 250ohms, so even more dependent on an amplifier; and it's much bassier honestly), Samson SR850 (no amplifier necessary, but benefits one), the AudioTechnica AD900 would be another one to investigate (doesn't need an amplifier, but benefits one, probably isn't as bassy in the mid section or low end by a touch), Ultrasone HFI 2400 (very bassy, smooth treble, benefits an amplifier but doesn't necessary require it).

Very best,

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 7
since i live in the states,  the price would be about $138

Are the headphones still worth it for that price? or are there better sounding cans out they with similar sound curve as this?

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
since i live in the states,  the price would be about $138

Are the headphones still worth it for that price? or are there better sounding cans out they with similar sound curve as this?

Heya,

They're great for that price ($118 + 20 shipping, $138).

If you want more bass, the DT990 PRO is about $170 on Amazon usually, and is otherwise pretty similar to the FA-011.
If you want a brighter headphone that is similar, the Goldring DR150 is about $150 usually on Amazon and is pretty similar too (more of a neutral headphone, good extension, but bright).

Very best,

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Hey MalVeauX,

I'm also considering the FA-011. I currently have the Sony MDR-V6 and the Samson SR-850, but I'm looking to replace the Samson with a higher quality open headphone under $200. I like bass, but I'm definitely not a bass head - both the MDR-V6 and the SR-850 satisfy my listening preferences with respect to bass.

In terms of amp, I have a Fiio E10. Do you think the FA-011 would be a good fit for me, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Hey MalVeauX,

I'm also considering the FA-011. I currently have the Sony MDR-V6 and the Samson SR-850, but I'm looking to replace the Samson with a higher quality open headphone under $200. I like bass, but I'm definitely not a bass head - both the MDR-V6 and the SR-850 satisfy my listening preferences with respect to bass.

In terms of amp, I have a Fiio E10. Do you think the FA-011 would be a good fit for me, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Heya,

It could be. It's pretty similar to the SR850 actually, the SR850 may have just a touch more mid-bass. If you upgrade the SR850 to velour pads (AKG 2xx series pads I think), it's quite similar in all respects to the FA-011 for a very good price and is often overlooked.

To really jump up your quality for your money's worth, I'd put you more towards some of the mid-tier headphones like the Beyer DT880, a used Sennheiser HD600, Audio Technica AD900, AKG Q701, Fischer Audio FA-002, etc. And potentially looking at getting a more powerful amplifier perhaps.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back