fischer amps fa 3e xb -- impressions
Apr 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Kurdt-bada

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i got this week my fischer amps fa 3e xb version I've posted some impressions here http://www.head-fi.org/t/628836/two-new-alternatives-to-choose-from-while-buying-two-way-three-driver-iem-fischer-amps-fa-3e-and-the-t-bone-ep-7 but in my opinion these iems are so good that they need a new thread and the other thing is that the other thread didnt catch any atention.

First of all the built quality is really good as you can see in the pictures these are a mix between custom and universal iems like the heir audio 4ai, the fit is very good as isolation and comfort. they isolate as other balanced iems like sm3 um3x and with the comply t500 medium tips i find the comfort really good to spend hours without feel any issues and the most clear, detailed and balanced sound.

Some pictures

they come with a nice case 3 pairs of complly t500 in s,m.l and 3 pairs of silicone tips in the same sizes, the instructions which come inside don't say anything about the configuration of these iems or the frequency response they tell you how to clean them, how to remove the cable...the frequency response is in the back of the box and they also say that these iems are 3 balanced armature in 3-way technology.

The price? they cost me in thomann cyberstore 330 euros with 3 years of warranty, a bargain considering how these iems sound.

So how is the sound: well first of all i've only heard these iems: shure 530, shure 535, um3x, sm3 v2 and sony ex1000 anyway this give me some experience to tell you about the sound of these iems but im not very good describing sound signatures and i haven't listened to full size cans or custom iems. First of all let's talk about the bass as these are xb version of fischer amps fa 3e...well, they have plenty of bass more than the other iems ive listened to except the um3x but the bass of these is punchier and more in quantity anyway the um3x aren't far. The bass on the ex1000 have more texture, more reverb and goes deep; but the satisfaction in quantity the punch and the speed is for the fischers and the fischers timbre is very good and reach very deep so it will be in this case more of preference than which is better....if you want great fast punch with superb timbre that goes deep the fischers, if you prefer something more natural more real with excellent texture and reverb the sonys but in my case ive listen to a lot of indie rock and that kind of  stuff so i prefer the fischers which in my opinion blows the shure 535 bass, the um3x and sm3 v2 bass are also very good but these give you the punch and the impact you miss with the other iems if you are kind of bass head with lot of speed and detail.

as im not very good describing mids or treble , im gonna talk about the detail transparency and separation, the fischer are very transparent, clear and detailed; more than any of the iems ive heard. the um3x with custom tips were close  but these are still above. the ex 1000 and the sm3 v2 without filters are very detailed and clear too but i think the um3x with custom tips are more clear than the other two and the fischers are the more clear and detailed of all. this is a problem in some recordings, specially in bad recordings or recordings where the treble is very present which can sound very agressive and sibilant due the quantity of bass and the brightness of the sound

I find the treble to be brighter than any of the other iems ive mentioned, some people think the ex1000 are borderline sibilant well in my opinion these are at least as sibilant as the ex 1000 if not a bit more. separation is outstanding. as good as the other balanced iems ive heard if not better, except the um3x of course lol. but the soundstage of these is way bigger than um3x soundstage and a bit bigger than sm3v2 soundstage not as big as the ex1000 of course but there is a lot of space and air, they are not as 3d as the sm3 the music is presented in a more natural way with outstanding timbre but these have the separation you could miss in the ex1000 with their huge soundstage and their natural presentation. Mids are very present, like the shure 535 these iems are a bit midcentric and the voices are very in front; i find for example the sound of the sm3 a bit laid back compared to the fischers, the fischers sound is very in front of you.

as i said in the other thread: overall sound, a more clear shure535 with better extended highs, much better timbre( timbre is really good!!), a bit wider soundstage separation is as good but less 3d as i remeber(my 535 also need a reshell lol) and far more powerful and engaging bass, except for the sibilance presence in some recording these are killers and for 330 euros with 3 years of warranty there is no competition as these perfom  above the others iems ive listened to. My apologies for my bad english!

May 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 24
Updated impressions with the stock cable sibilance in the highs is almost reduced to 0, more impressions ive been using my sm3v2 with the same cable and custom tips some hours, came back to the fischers and oh these blow the sm3 in clarity resolution and detail while provide impactful bass and more fun and i love the sm3 but these are in another level. Next step baldur mk3 if the cable increases the strenghts of the fischers i must quit buying new iems or customs for a long period :wink:

May 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 24
Hi gilly here are some impressions on a german forum  http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-110-13867.html

extracted from the forum: My Conclusion: FA-3E XB - a first-class TF10 replacement for people with large purses and clever players. With the FA-3E XB with just under 400 euros is still a relatively favorable TF10 replacement. Until now, there had either access to a Reshell, or equal to Customs at least in the JH-11Pro-class in order to obtain an equivalent low-end replacement. 

May 12, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 24
Are in you Europe? If so, check Thomann.de. Best online store there is for audio. In general there´s a 30 day no questions asked returns policy and 3 year warranty with everything. No I don´t work there :) Not sure if the returns policy applies to IEMs though, but I´ve seen "B-stock" IEMs on their site before so I´d guess they accept returns.

Kurdt-bada: Fantastic post, thanks! Great to see FA gear get more coverage here. These IEMs are also available without detachable cables in an aluminum shell for almost 100 euros less: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fischer_amps_fa_3_xb_black.htm

May 12, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 24
Call me vain, but I'm waiting for reviews on the SD3 first, then I'll decide between the two. I'm leaning towards the SD3, just because the FA 3E looks quite cheap.

May 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 24
They dont look cheap and they look better in your hands than in pictures, in my opinion they look better than the um3x or the sm3 v2 but i must admit the stagediver looks great. My next iem will be something between cosmic ears ba5 and stagediver but ill try the baldur mk3 first sound is amazing in the fischers. Ultrazino tried the fischer xba 4 he told me they sound very close to the fischer xba 3 adding more stage and separation he also prefered the stage diver 3 over them, but he also prefered the w4 and the ue900 over the fischers and other people prefer the fischers over the ue900 or the heir 4ai so...

May 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
They dont look cheap and they look better in your hands than in pictures, in my opinion they look better than the um3x or the sm3 v2 but i must admit the stagediver looks great. My next iem will be something between cosmic ears ba5 and stagediver but ill try the baldur mk3 first sound is amazing in the fischers.

The UM3X and SM3 are probably what I'd consider some of the ugliest higher tier universals ever. Just about anything looks better than those.

May 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 24
agree and the stagediver blows most universals in that regard  except the fit ear... get the stagediver then. anyway if you don't care about detachable cables you can get this version of the fischer amps fa 3e xb for 259 euros http://www.thomann.de/es/fischer_amps_fa_3_xb_black.htm which look nice and is 200 euros cheaper than the stagediver.

http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/medium/549773/fa-3-xb_266543.jpg

May 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 24
Personally I think the UM3x looks better than the 535s, it looks kinda high-tech with the half-black-half-clear and the drivers showing...I like it. Similar to the new SE846.
Quote:
Me too but 350 euros iems should look better like the 535 or the ex1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back