First tube amp: Little Dot MkIII, Little Dot MkIV, or Darkvoice 336i?
Apr 25, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #31 of 35
Well, I finally took the plunge. I have just purchased a Darkvoice 336i from a fellow Head-Fi member, and it is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday (04/29/2008).

Also included are a bunch of additional tubes:

Front: NOS Tung sol, Ken Rad 6S7NGT, Sylvania 6SA7NGTA, RCA 6S7NGTB

Rear: Westinghouse 6AS7G, GE GAS7G, Tung Sol 6080.

I can't wait! Thank you everyone for your advice and comments -- they were extremely helpful in making my decision.

I'll be sure to post when the amp arrives with initial impressions. I also just purchased an APureSound ER-4P cable for my Ety's...that plus the DV 336i tube amp makes this a very exciting time for me.

-Justin

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #32 of 35
The Darkvoice 336i arrived yesterday around lunchtime. I installed the stock tubes, powered her up, and had a listen with my Grado SR225's. I am very impressed. If I had to choose only one word to describe the sound, it would be 'fluid'.

I'm working from home today so I unfortunately cannot enjoy it again until tomorrow morning. I'm bringing my AKG K701's to work tomorrow too -- I am very hopeful of synergy between these two components.

P.S. -- the stock tubes will be staying installed for a least a couple of weeks until I fully 'learn' their sound. Does anyone have suggestions on which tubes or tube combinations I should start out with?

Here is a list of the tubes I have in addition to the stock tubes:

Front Tubes
  1. NOS Tung sol
  2. Ken Rad 6S7NGT
  3. Sylvania 6SA7NGTA
  4. RCA 6S7NGTB

Rear Tubes
  1. Westinghouse 6AS7G
  2. GE GAS7G
  3. Tung Sol 6080

May 4, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #33 of 35
Hey Justin,

I just noticed this thread, you'd really been contemplating this move for a while. As I think I wrote on the boxes, my favorite tube comb was ge in the back and the tung sol in the front but try them all. Also the ken rads and only the ken rads produced a hum. sorry that your original thread was temporarily taken over by those feudin head fiers. Since I live in Miami I'm gonna try to make it to Can Jam tomorrow so I can hear some stuff. enjoy the DV

May 22, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #34 of 35
If you want to roll tubes, get the 336i. If you want to buy an amp, and let it sit there, get the LD. The LD tubes aren't very easy to come by, and offer minimal tube rolling options.

I saved a few extra bucks, and got the 336i. I wanted the MKIII, but when I learned the limited tube rolling options, I tossed it out.

Since you have done your home work, I'm not sure what you want us to comment on. Three excellent amps, and like you said, you can't go wrong with any of them.

You can get further SQ improvements by rolling the tubes on the 336i. Spending $20 will get you two decent tubes, and get you a better sound over the stock tubes. Only your wallet will limit your tube options. There's tubes costing near $100 a piece you could pop in the 336i and take it to a whole another league. Tube rolling on the 336i is only limited by how much you're willing to pay. There's SO many 6SN7 and 6AS7 tubes out there it's not even funny.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif
Hi, In regard to Darkvoice 336SE What a tubes would you recommand for Jazz and wide soundstage? Anything from JJ Electronics (Gold Pins)?

May 26, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having trouble finding MKIII tubes.. on eBay, I see one, maybe two. Where as a single 6SN7 search brings up about 400 tubes.

Could you define more "widely" available? I would use this term for the 6SN7, but not for the MKIII tubes.

EDIT: Also, the 6AS7/6SN7 (the tubes the 336i uses) are mostly American made, which makes them so readily available. From what I'm gathering, most of the tubes the LD amps use are Mullards from Europe.

Ok, lets get one thing clear please. If you are having trouble finding tubes for the MKIII, YOU should be asking and letting others help you. I have seen you post this "you can't find tubes for MKIII" crap over and over again. However, I decided to be nice and help you out.
smily_headphones1.gif
Here you go, I took 10 minutes to compile a list, and there are plenty of choices out there, so please STOP the can't find comments:

EF92, EF91, CV138, CV131, WE301A/B, GE5654, M8100, CV4010, EF95, 6JI

EF92s : EF92, Home Audio, Consumer Electronics items on eBay.com

EF91s: EF91, Vintage Electronics, Accessories, Parts items on eBay.com

CV138: CV138, Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone, Collectibles items on eBay.com

GE5654 5654, Tubes items on eBay.com

M8100 M8100 items on eBay.com

CV4010 CV4010 items on eBay.com

EF95 EF95, Vintage Electronics, Radios CB, Ham Shortwave items on eBay.com

6J1 6J1, Home Audio, Consumer Electronics items on eBay.com
Hi, For the Little DOT MKIII.

The highly recommended Mullard M8100, Should it be used in Output stages or can be used for Input as well?

Thanks a LOT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back