First time visitor, looking for recomendations
Sep 28, 2009 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

aenti

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm looking forward to becoming part of the community!

I've just recently began developing an interest in high quality headphones this last week, and I am now looking towards investing in my first pair. I was first drawn to the aesthetics of Beats by Dre, but after lurking around the posts here, it seems like a pretty big mistake to pick them up.

I'm looking for something that can be taken outside, comfortable, and, if possible, looks good. It would be used with my iPhone and Macbook Pro. I'm in the price range of about 100-200 but I am willing to spend more for something that is worth the price.

A friend recommended for me Audio Technica M50, Denon D1001, or maybe the Beyerdynamic DT-770 (32 ohm version), but I'd like to know what you guys would recommend based off my criteria/your expertise.

Thanks for the help!

Edit- If this is in the wrong place, sorry in advance
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 14
Welcome. Why not have a look at HeadRoom's list of phones and the accompanying reviews. I found it to be quite helpful in not only knowing some of what's available, but also getting information on each model. Of course, I'd advise shopping around for your choice. HeadRoom's prices aren't always the best available.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 14
I'm new here too so I just wanna be part of the community and say something.

What about a Phiaton MS 400? It looks pretty cool and I think stereophile or something had a pretty good review on it.

Did I mention it looks really good?

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 14
I have some Audio Technica Ath Es7s that I purchased from a feller on Ebay because they were inexpensive used. I had read some reviews that suggested that they were too uneven for their retail sticker price, which I think was around $200.00. As I got mine for about $55.00, I figured that I could use them for jogging and exercise: they have slightly heavier, more reinforced cables and connections than do the ATH earbuds. I'd already destroyed some very nice ATH earbuds by running with them (the cord eventually broke).

I mention the whole exercise thing because, that's the opportunity I have most to wear portable phones and to play them LOUD. My limited experience is that regular use and loud volume bring out the very best in a portable phone over a few months. Where the ATH-ES7s had sounded a little base-heavy, a little uneven and accentuated, they now sound like stars--detailed, balanced, dynamic.

So, the short answer is a small recommendation for the stylish-ish Ath-Es7s. But the longer moral is that I think the mysterious and often debated virtues of burn-in are often genuine. Whatever you get, listen to it as much as you can. And, I'm afraid, loud volumes do the best initial burn-in.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 14
Welcome to Head-Fi and "sorry 'bout your wallet"... I joined one year ago, am loving my stay and acoustic journey. Be prepared for what can be a costly ride. With your budget and concern re/looks - try Audio Technica ESW9 (but be wary of counterfeits) - truly a fine sounding phone and looks fantastic. I have the ESW10JPNs and love 'em. You may also want to look into the Grado/Alessandro line. Some questions - are you looking for open or closed cans? What type of music do you listen to? Can you increase that $200 ceiling. Have fun and remember...it's about the music.
darthsmile.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamcma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kinds of music do you listen to?

I'm really diverse in terms of music, sometimes I'll be playing Chopin, other times Kid Cudi. However, most of my music is alternative rock.

Thanks for the responses guys, I really do appreciate it! Yes, unfortunetly I am getting ready to burn a lot of money on cans haha, and like I said, if you guys really do have a pair that you think is worth breaking my budget, then by all means throw me some names. I'm a little busy atm with some engineering stuff, so I'll be back tonight after I check out everyones recommendations.

Thanks again!

edit- I can go either way, open or closed cans.

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi and "sorry 'bout your wallet"... I joined one year ago, am loving my stay and acoustic journey. Be prepared for what can be a costly ride. With your budget and concern re/looks - try Audio Technica ESW9 (but be wary of counterfeits) - truly a fine sounding phone and looks fantastic. I have the ESW10JPNs and love 'em. You may also want to look into the Grado/Alessandro line. Some questions - are you looking for open or closed cans? What type of music do you listen to? Can you increase that $200 ceiling. Have fun and remember...it's about the music.
darthsmile.gif

I'm trying to find the ESW9- I love the way they look, and I've heard nothing but stellar reviews from this site and others. Couple questions though-

I hear that they break easily, is this true?
Is there anyway to buy from the manufacturer? I'm not too good at detecting a counterfeit from the site, as I am new to the cans buisness. If not, can I trust this site?
AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones -

Thanks

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 14
Here are my recommendations:

1. Take out your wallet
2. Hand it to your best friend and tell him to keep it until this newfound desire passes.
3. Never, ever, come back here again.

Failing that, welcome aboard this ship of (mostly broke) fools !
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't go wrong with the SRH840.

nope

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by migs008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new here too so I just wanna be part of the community and say something.

What about a Phiaton MS 400? It looks pretty cool and I think stereophile or something had a pretty good review on it.

Did I mention it looks really good?

I have a pair of Phiaton MS 400 for one week. Here are my early impressions.

They indeed look cool. Although Stereophile in their review states that ear pads are "Clad in Ferrari Rosso Corso crimson leather", neither the Manufacturer's specs on the box nor on their website states anything about leather, or "Ferrari Rosso Corso", whatever or whoever the heck that is.

I can't tell if the pads are leather but they don't smell like leather. They are soft enough, though. The ear cups are very small and do not go completely around the ear, unless you have very, very small ears. They are also too large to sit on your ears. What you end up with is a "circumaural" cup that you may be able to squeeze the top part of your ear into while your earlobe hangs out. The ear pads are soft but thin and you may find your ears touching the inside of the earcup. Overall, they can be uncomfortable for long listening sessions without taking a break.

They sound very good. I'm not going to describe all of the particular nuances with a string of half made-up words. You can read stereophile reviews for that. Suffice it to say that I like the way they sound. They are definitely sensitive enough to be driven directly by an iPod, but the music sounded more congested as compared to a dedicated headphone amp. This is not a negative, rather a testament to how good they can sound when properly amped.

Overall, I would give them 3.5 out of 5 stars.
PROS They look spectacular. They sound awesome for a headphone in this price range.
CONS Although I would not characterize them as "uncomfortable", you never really forget you are wearing them and are difficult to wear for long sessions without taking a break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back