First time poster/n00b, looking for a little advice - Galaxy S
Sep 7, 2013 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DR650SE

500+ Head-Fier
Hello audiophiles,

I'll start with a brief intro.  I definitely enjoy good sounding music, though I'm still very new to the subject.  Clearly from my headphone/earphone choices in the past lol.  Currently in my stock is a pair of Bose QC3 headphones, Bose IE2 earphones, and a pair of Beats Studios.  Now before I go any further, in my defense, the Beats were given to me free.  The QC3 I've had since 2007, and the IE2 I use for working out and running.  In my opinion, I think they sound pretty good.  However I'm no audiophile.  Now I may not have the best hearing, but I'm not deaf lol.  Being in the military can take a toll on the hearing.

Anyhow, on to my questions.  For almost 3 years my primary phone has been the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate.  I recently obtained a Droid Razr free, and decided that I would uninstall everything and throw CM10.2 on my Captivate.  I basically turned it into a media device.  It has a very bare OS on it.  But during the course of my research, I found that it has the Wolfson WM8994 audio chip in it.  I understand that it is definitely a decent chip, and one of the better ones.  I downloaded and installed Voodoo Sound Plus, and Poweramp as my MP3 app.

My question is this, how do I get the best audio from this phone?  Do I need to get some sort of USB audio adapter? Or is using the standard phone headphone jack sufficient?  I'm looking to get the best audio experience from this little device.  It has a 3300mah extended battery, so it will be great on a long plane ride back home to the states.

Now on to my next task, deciding a budget and looking for headphones :D :p

Thanks for your help and time.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 4
Hello!

If you can give us your max budget and the genre of music you listen to, that will help a lot :) 

As for now, I'd say;
Sennheiser HD439
Ultimate Ears UE6000
Sony MDR-1R
Sennheiser Momentum
PSB M4U1 or 2
AKG K167

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 4
  Now on to my next task, deciding a budget and looking for headphones

For something low cost but offers good audio quality.
JVC HA-S500 folding headphones, sells for under $60.

I'm thinking of doing the same mods (CM 10.2) to my HTC Inspire 4G, please post on how well your mods do.

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll be starting some research on those.

As far as budget goes, I would put my limit around $300 for a god set of headphones.  I tend to take care of them and the last for a while.  Right now my Bose QC3 are the best I got, and I've had them since 2007 and have only replaced the ear pads, and the atinuater cable.  So thats my basis of comparison.

As far as genre, I listen to the whole spectrum.  Country, rock, rap, contemporary christian, pop ect.  Really all over the place.

I was also reading about my iPods and researching those.  I have a 4th gen iPod, a 5.5 Gen iPod, and a 6th gen iPod nano.  Of all of them the 5.5 gen iPod sounds the best due to the Wolfson audio chip in it.

Also both my 4th gen iPod and 5.5 gen ipod a few months ago had the HDDs removed and swaped for 128GB SD cards, and I put larger capacity batteries in them.  So they should be lasting me quite a bit longer.  Mostly I'll listen to music through the phones or iPods.

I will also use them for my laptop, through a Nuforce uDAC2.  Hope this helps and thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back