First Time IEMs, recommendations?
Oct 17, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #16 of 27
If money is no object you could go custom from the start and never look back.

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #17 of 27
Westone makes the most comfortable IEMs I've tried. The UM1 is in your price range. It has the same comfort level as the UM2s. Go for the UM2 if your budget allows. The dual drivers makes a big difference.

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #18 of 27
Yep, I think I'll go with a UM1/2 or super.fi 5 (keep reading about how great they are with the reverse SF mod). All are under $200 so I'll take a chance on one without worry.
I considered customs but since I have not used an IEM for many many years and still am unsure of how I'm going to take to it, it definitely wouldn't be a wise move to drop that much on something I couldn't sell if it didn't work out.

So I'll take a small step first and if it's good, then head for custom from there.

Thanks for your help guys, much reassurance I needed
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff.h
Yep, I think I'll go with a UM1/2 or super.fi 5 (keep reading about how great they are with the reverse SF mod). All are under $200 so I'll take a chance on one without worry.
I considered customs but since I have not used an IEM for many many years and still am unsure of how I'm going to take to it, it definitely wouldn't be a wise move to drop that much on something I couldn't sell if it didn't work out.

So I'll take a small step first and if it's good, then head for custom from there.

Thanks for your help guys, much reassurance I needed
smily_headphones1.gif

UM2 are under $200
confused.gif
Am I missing something?

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 27
You can find the um2's for 250 new (thats how much I got em for) if you look around, and the um1's go for about 100 USD. Both are great choices for first time iem users because the comfly tips are just so comfortable. I also prefer the sound over the shure line, with the exception of the e500's.

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #22 of 27
i like my akg k501, what is the iem equivalent.

can anyone recommend ?

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #23 of 27
i'll be the voice of reason against the UM2. i found it to be bass-bloated and recessed in the highs. not the easiest to wear for a first-time IEM-er, either...

what you want as a first IEM is something easy to wear...i think the er6i is a good, unassuming IEM...or even the UM1.

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #24 of 27
How would u guys compare IEM's to say closed headphones say same price in quality of sound? For instance comparing the es5i and the akg 81's.

Oct 21, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaillard
the m716 drivers ARE NOT etymotics... the only part that is the same are the darn tri flanged eartips!

Are you sure?

Seems you may have inside info that has not been made available to the public here at Head-Fi, or do you not?

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #26 of 27
Damn, that 'bass-bloated' comment reminds me of how many bass heavy comments I've read about the UM2. Then on the other hand some claim it has no bass at all, I'll lean more towards the first set of opinions there though since it's easier to believe in something people say is there, than it is to believe in something they say isn't.

+ I have tinnitus so I am a little nervous about IEM's. My reasoning for getting them (don't know if I posted already) is so I can get some isolation and not have to turn it up so loud further damaging my ears. But if I'm jamming something in there that is even closer to the eardrum and it is destroying it with slabs of bass, well.. no thanks!

The ER6i would be really cool for me, but those tri-flange tips look insane and like they would make your ears feel like they are expanding. Isolation or nay, they look like they would be highly uncomfortable for a first time IEM user.

Super.fi 5's?

edit: Oh and how about those Altec Lansing ones? Can't quite remember the exact name i871 or i71 - something like that
confused.gif
Price is right although getting them shipped into Canada might be a bit of trouble (Amazon states they can't leave the US)

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff.h
Damn, that 'bass-bloated' comment reminds me of how many bass heavy comments I've read about the UM2. Then on the other hand some claim it has no bass at all, I'll lean more towards the first set of opinions there though since it's easier to believe in something people say is there, than it is to believe in something they say isn't.

+ I have tinnitus so I am a little nervous about IEM's. My reasoning for getting them (don't know if I posted already) is so I can get some isolation and not have to turn it up so loud further damaging my ears. But if I'm jamming something in there that is even closer to the eardrum and it is destroying it with slabs of bass, well.. no thanks!

The ER6i would be really cool for me, but those tri-flange tips look insane and like they would make your ears feel like they are expanding. Isolation or nay, they look like they would be highly uncomfortable for a first time IEM user.

Super.fi 5's?

edit: Oh and how about those Altec Lansing ones? Can't quite remember the exact name i871 or i71 - something like that
confused.gif
Price is right although getting them shipped into Canada might be a bit of trouble (Amazon states they can't leave the US)

you don't have to use those tri-flange tips on the er6i, you know. it comes with the comply tips (which i use), but you can also use other tips that may be more comfortable. i prefer the comply or the yellow shure foamies...i've never liked the tri-flange tips on any of my IEMs...the shure soft flex sleeves are nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back