First time IEM user
Aug 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AndrewNL

New Head-Fier
Hello forum,

It's my first post to this lively and active forum; I've been a lurker for a while as I am in the market for my first set of IEMs. Indeeed, my first set of big boys 'phones.

Anyway, I am currently using (and have done for about 3 years I think) Sennheiser PX100s but now that I am traveling on the metro, and flying long haul more frequently, I would like improved sound isolation. The crunch is that these will, as I mentioned, be my first set of IEMs.

So my question to the forum is: which IEM gets the vote for best balance between comfort and quality? I've been looking at:

Shure SE115 (GBP 60)
Klipsch Image X5 (GBP 100)
Klipsch Image X10 (GBP 135)

I listen mainly to Bob Dylan, Neil Young, some African music and more main stream stuff like Coldplay etc.

Anyone have any thoughts or tips?

Thanks

Andrew

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 10
I own the Image X10s (as my primary phones) and the 115's (as my secondary phones). I listen primarily to rock and acoustical music and can say, without question, that the Image X10s beat the 115's. That's not to say that the 115s sound bad, the X10s just sound more "alive" to my ears - like I'm listening to a nice pair of Klispch speakers with a solid (yet tight) subwoofer. My only complaint is that I love the durability/thickness of the Shure phones (and the detachable cable) and the Klipsch cable seems so flimsy in comparison. As far as isolating noise, they seem about the same to me. I can also tell you that the Image X10s are far, far more comfortable to my ears. The 115s got more comfortable over time as the olive foamies were "broken in", but still don't compare. I can't comment on the X5s as I've never heard them (nor have I heard the new S4).

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi mark2410

Thanks for the reply - well, I have checked out the sticky on describing music (I'm a bit of a newbie unfortunately!) and I think that because I listed to a fair bit of acoustic music, a good midrange is important. I do also have African music, and I think it would be great to see the IEMs handle bass well too. Does this give you a clue and answer your question?

Cheers

Andrew

scottyb06, thanks for the post - I love it when my music sounds alive, rich and warm. I once listened to a pair of Bose triports and in some way they seemed "clinical" and stripped the warmth out. Cheers! Andrew

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewNL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi mark2410

Thanks for the reply - well, I have checked out the sticky on describing music (I'm a bit of a newbie unfortunately!) and I think that because I listed to a fair bit of acoustic music, a good midrange is important. I do also have African music, and I think it would be great to see the IEMs handle bass well too. Does this give you a clue and answer your question?

Cheers

Andrew

scottyb06, thanks for the post - I love it when my music sounds alive, rich and warm. I once listened to a pair of Bose triports and in some way they seemed "clinical" and stripped the warmth out. Cheers! Andrew

When it comes to a good mid range, it is SE 530/ UM3x

If you don't mind having recessed mid, IE8 is only a little out of your budget, have great bass and soundstage among the choice I recommended

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
part of me really wants to say the pl-50, but it could be a little bass light for you, custom 3 could be good but crappy cable. se530 if you budget goes that far

Hi Mark

I just read your detailed review of the PL-50s - they sound pretty good actually, and I must admit I overlooked them because I was looking in the GBP 60-150 price range. I figured something that inexpensive would not cut the mustard; it seems that they do though!

Really, atm, my budget doesn't stretch to the SE 530, UM3x or IE8. It would for the Custom 3 (they are GBP 125), but what I am thinking is: test the IEM waters with the PL-50s and then maybe save up for something a little more premium. What do you think?

Cheers

Andrew

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewNL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Mark

I just read your detailed review of the PL-50s - they sound pretty good actually, and I must admit I overlooked them because I was looking in the GBP 60-150 price range. I figured something that inexpensive would not cut the mustard; it seems that they do though!

Really, atm, my budget doesn't stretch to the SE 530, UM3x or IE8. It would for the Custom 3 (they are GBP 125), but what I am thinking is: test the IEM waters with the PL-50s and then maybe save up for something a little more premium. What do you think?

Cheers

Andrew

i think that sounds very sensible, it will give you a frame of reference so that next time you will better know what direction you want to go in. go for the PL-50 and if you do find it a bit bass light then grab a fiio to boost it a little

do let us know what you make of them

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that sounds very sensible, it will give you a frame of reference so that next time you will better know what direction you want to go in. go for the PL-50 and if you do find it a bit bass light then grab a fiio to boost it a little

do let us know what you make of them

I just ordered a pair from dealperfect - just $50 delivered - so now I will sit back and wait for the mailman. I will have a look at the Fiio reviews and pick one up if I feel I need it.

I will definitely put a short "layman's" review on the forum once I get them.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in and helped me out!

Andrew

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 10
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back