First-time IEM purchase: Etymotic HF5 or Monster Turbines -- help?
May 18, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 29
To me, the Turbines isolated better with stock tips. I used the Sony hybrid tips with both phones, and they are a great match with both (more on those later, they are $9 on Amazon). Also, I walk the dog every morning around Independence Mall, and I could hear ambient sounds on the street (cars, buses, etc.), but the Turbines go a bit deeper and sealed off sound much better.

Having said that, there are those who can use the stock Senn tips successfully, and some people use a foam under silicone mod (two tips combined) to get a better seal with the Senns. Finally, there are some very cheap bi-flanges on ebay that work with the Senns. You can read about them on the Senn IE7 thread.

Got all that? Bottom line, out of the box, the Turbines provide more isolation, no doubt.

May 18, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 29
Well, assuming you can get the same seal with both of the IEMs, then I believe the Turbines are going to be better, especially at the lower volumes. It also depends on the tips you use, since those have a huge impact on how good the isolation is.

EDIT: tstarn06 beat me to it.

EDIT 2: I should probably add my experience. I can get a VERY good seal with my IE7s using the stock bi-flange tips, and even the silicons. I'm not too picky about isolation, since I do want to hear a little bit of what's going on (even if it is only in between songs
wink.gif
).

May 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 29
I have experienced great isolation from my Turbines (easily as good as my E4, 530, and Triple-Fi), and get great sound even when traveling on flights. I have read, but not experienced, that the Senn IEx do not isolate as well as other IEMs.

May 18, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #19 of 29
Yeah, that all makes sense. I will definitely be doing a lot of walking with them during morning rush time, from Bella Vista up to Suburban, so noise will be an issue, and I'll take that into consideration. I have a feeling that either would be an incredible upgrade from where I'm coming from (rock bottom) at this point. Thus, even though the IE7s might be a dramatic upgrade over the Turbines in some senses, to my (as yet) unaccustomed (to IEMs) ears, the difference wouldn't necessarily be as dramatic as it would be to a more experienced listener.

Decisions, decisions. Anyhow, this choice is a good sort of problem to have, I suppose.

May 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 29
Wanna give thanks again for all the advice, including the heads-up with regard to the IE7s. After sleeping on it for the night, reading a little more about both sets, and considering the comments here with respect to isolation issues, I've decided to go with the Turbines. Hopefully she'll put in an order today or tomorrow. I've got a long summer of bar study, and some nice phones should make the hours of monotonous review a little easier to take (I hope!).

Thanks Head-fiers.

May 18, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just know that last time newegg posted that price, it lasted 24 hours. I kid you not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosley01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, the Newegg deal is dead.

Well, turns out tstarn06 was dead-on. Looks like the Turbines were meant to be because the gf isn't even home from work yet.

May 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #24 of 29
Now you will have money left for a Phillies game or a nice dinner out. I recommend the Sahara Grill on Walnut. Dinner for two, less than $50. Enjoy the Turbines, and if the tips aren't great for you, try the Sony hybrids (PM for details on how to get them on Amazon).

May 27, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #25 of 29
After a couple days of anticipation, my new Turbines arrived today. Up to this point, all I've ever listened to was the default Apple ipod earbuds, which is to say I have no real experience with good headphones.

Plugged these things in. First up, some Flying Lotus. Next some Radiohead. Now listening to the Diplo/Santogold compilation album.

All I can say is that this is totally ridiculous sound quality. Beyond my wildest expectations. I can't believe I've been without these so long!

Wow. The packaging says it all: Life is too short to listen to bad headphones.

May 29, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsphiladelphia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a couple days of anticipation, my new Turbines arrived today. Up to this point, all I've ever listened to was the default Apple ipod earbuds, which is to say I have no real experience with good headphones.

Plugged these things in. First up, some Flying Lotus. Next some Radiohead. Now listening to the Diplo/Santogold compilation album.

All I can say is that this is totally ridiculous sound quality. Beyond my wildest expectations. I can't believe I've been without these so long!

Wow. The packaging says it all: Life is too short to listen to bad headphones.

Great news. I also liked the Turbines, but just imagine, you can even do better. Sorry for your wallet.

May 30, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news. I also liked the Turbines, but just imagine, you can even do better. Sorry for your wallet.

The honeymoon's not over yet, but yeah, I see where you're going there.

Just for kicks yesterday, I paused a song midway through and switched to the ipod headphones. I've now come to the opinion that in addition to getting headphones for graduation, I've also received my _entire_ music collection, because I've never heard it like this before. Well, other than when played through my home theater, but it's been years since I've played directly off CD anyhow.

Next move -- re-rip everything lossless. Unfortunately that is going to have to wait till after the bar exam in July.

May 30, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #29 of 29
Good luck with that. Anyway, I have the Westone 3s in right now, with my Touch 2G, and they are sublime. But for now, enjoy the Turbines. And before you go nuts with lossless, try 256 or 320 AAC, do one track twice, and see if you can hear the difference. I have some lossless, but the Tuck Andress track I am listening to is 192 MP3 and it sounds great. I only rip CDs to lossless that are important parts of my collection (Sinatra and some others).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back