First-time IEM purchase: Etymotic HF5 or Monster Turbines -- help?
May 17, 2009 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

fsphiladelphia

New Head-Fier
Hello -- I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks while trying to pick out a set of IEMs. Up until now I have had stock Apple buds from a long-dead 4th gen ipod. As a grad school graduation present, my g/f is going to get me a nice pair of in-ears because she knows how much I love listening to music.

I was originally trying to keep the purchase to $150 or less, and in the course of my research, I was originally considering the Shure SE210's. I have alternately considered the Super.fi 3 and 4's, as well as the Westone UM1s.

After reading this website, I discovered that the Turbines can be had for ~105 USD and the HF5's can be had for ~100 USD via various online outlets. Based on what I read from various Head-fi posters, these two sets seem to collectively trump the other options I had been considering.

I listen to a lot of indie rock, jazz, reggae, dubstep (burial, flying lotus, mary anne hobbs experimental show on radio1), and minimal techno/idm (lotta stuff on the kompakt label, etc). I am concerned about the bass reproduction on the Ety's, but otherwise, I am not sure I can beat them with respect to overall clarity in this price range. I was almost about to pull the trigger on the HF5's, but then I stumbled across several hyperbolic threads about how the Turbines produce excellent mids and highs without sacrificing the low-end as the Ety's do, however, the reviews seem to good to be true especially considering Etymotic seems to be a more known entity with respect to IEMs?

With that lengthy intro aside, and given my listening/genre tendencies, any thoughts? Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance!

May 18, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 29
Welcome fellow Philadelphian. I owned the Turbines, and reviewed them on HF, and also owned the Ety ER4Ps. Never heard the HF5s, but I would guess that with your musical tastes, the Turbines would be a better choice.

Friday, I acquired a new pair of dynamics that are very similar to the Turbines SQ-wise, they are VSonic R02 Pro II, which are $69, sold by Head-Direct.com. I have only auditioned them for an hour or so, but they remind me a lot of the Turbines, good balance for a dynamic phone, not bass heavy, but plenty of bass. I did burn them in for 24 hours, so they are not out of the box.

Not saying you should not get the Turbines, but these VSonics are not bad. I plan on posting a review next week some time.

Other considerations in that price range are the Phonak Audeos, which are more Ety-like, but a little warmer and a hint more bass (but not bass heavy). I especially like the Phonaks at this price if you ever plan on getting an amp. I only sold my Phonaks because I have really taken to the Westone 3s, which retail for $399, and had run out of room for balanced armature phones (also own the Apple in-ear and the Klipsch Image X10).

Ety makes high-quality phones, for sure, but listening to reggae with the Ety bass won't be much fun in my view.

May 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 29
I also recommend the Turbines as a great introduction to IEMs. They have received most of my IEM listening time for three months and can't recommned them enough for their quality and price. All of Etys IEMs are good, but I cannot imagine reggae sounding as good on Etys (with their flat, but thin, bass) compared to the Turbines.

May 18, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 29
Thanks for the responses. I think I am definitely going to go for the Turbines -- maybe I just needed to be pushed over the edge. Your responses all confirmed my suspicions, namely that that bass qualities of the HF5s should be more than a minor consideration for someone with my musical interests.

That said, thanks also for the suggestion of the VSonics and the Phonaks. The Phonaks definitely look good too, but there seem to be some build-quality and/or cracking issues. Since the g/f is going to be ordering these off the internet, probably wouldn't want to roll the dice with possibly having to do a return or anything of that nature. That set was definitely on my short list as well.

I guess I managed to sufficiently narrow my search given price/music considerations. Unless there are any glaring oversights I've made, I guess tomorrow I'll email a couple of links her way and soon enough I'll have some IEMs!

beerchug.gif

May 18, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 29
With the current price at Newegg.com of $149 shipped, would no one here recommend the Sennheiser IE7's? I have both these and the Turbines, and prefer the IE7's over the Monsters. I just mention these since the OP said he is thinking of the Turbines.

May 18, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 29
fsphilly, I too own both the ER-4P and had the Turbines for about three weeks now, and I believe you will be very happy with the turbines. I've never owned the HF-5s, but I've heard they have a sound signature very similar to the 4P, and though they are an EXCELLENT pair of headphones, they do lack in the bass. Don't get me wrong, the bass they produce is tight, just not as forceful when needed. And through my listening to both the 4Ps and the turbines these past three weeks, I've concluded that the mids and highs on the turbines hold their own with the 4P quite nicely, with the Turbines stomping the 4P in the bass dept.

I know it sounds like I'm trashing the HF-5/4Ps, but that is not the case. Like I said, they are indeed excellent headphones. I still love my 4Ps, and have no plans on selling them.

May 18, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 29
Well, well. Hmmm, the only thing about not recommending the IE7 over the Turbines is isolation. I had the IE7 and IE8s, and they just didn't seal enough for me. But I think the IE7s are, on balance, a better IEM than the Turbines. That newegg price is very good, and may only last a day or two. So send that link to the gf.

May 18, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 29
Wow, that's an awesome price for the IE7's.

May 18, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 29
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
wink_face.gif

Wasn't aware these would be even remotely close to my price range. I'll read up a little more on them in the a.m. Either way, graduation was Friday, and I'm definitely deciding by tomorrow. Will let you guys know what I decide.

Thanks again for all the help, this is a really good forum.

May 18, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just know that last time newegg posted that price, it lasted 24 hours. I kid you not.

Quick question -- between the Turbines and the IE7s, is one definitively superior with respect to isolation?

I will probably be wearing these while walking to work in downtown Philadelphia, sometimes on the subway, perhaps to block out ambient street/outside noise at my next apartment (not sure 100% what the vibe will be there), and on loud regional rail commuter trains about twice a week (girlfriend going to be in the burbs for another year).

I'd say isolation is somewhat important for me, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back