First time IEM looking for some help
Apr 7, 2007 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Subaru

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some IEM's for my 5G ipod after thinking about the Ultimate Ear's Super fi 5's I just don't like the look on how they stick out of the ears like that..

So I was thinking about the Etymotic ER6i how does fit well?

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 15
How much do you want to spend?

You can switch the cables on the Super.fi 5s and wear them backwards so they don't stick out too much.

If you still want something more discreet, take a look at the Westone UM1s or UM2s depending on your budget.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 15
used etymotics er-4p ftw
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I get the ok for this pay raise I wanted to try those

The ER-4P is not too far beyond your $150 budget. They're only $164.99 with free shipping from Amazon.com.

Anyway, as a daily user of the ER-4S (since a few weeks ago), I have to say that they indeed burrow pretty deeply into the canals. From what I can tell, the ER-6i's are even smaller; some have even reported difficulty fishing them out of their ears. If I had to pick between the ER-4P and ER-6i, I have to say I'd go for the cheaper, yet more accurate, ER-6i. I suppose the ER-4P adds some element of "fun" (what is that, anyway?
eek.gif
) element to music by coloring it, and many seem to like that, but I really find the clinical accuracy of the ER-4S right up my alley. So, in a way, I suppose I would say that when I use them, I have "fun."

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how are they bass wise? I don't like it too bassy but I don't want it to be without it as well.

wow the ER-4R goes for $199 here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836503003

If haven't heard that the ER-6i's bass is overdone, and within the Etymotic line, only the ER-4S outperforms it in terms of accuracy (according to Etymotic). I actually consider the ER-4S to be as close to perfect as I have heard with any kind of headphones so far (and I really don't mean to sound like an Etymotic fanboy here, either, as I have love for lots of different headphones). The ER-4S can be had for $184 with free shipping from Amazon.com, but they really do sound a bit better with a dedicated headphone amp--not *that* much, but enough to make it impractical to spend that much for them if you really want to run them straight out of a portable--in which case the ER-6i really would be the "logical" way to go if you're after a similar sound signature at a lower price (only $69.99 at Amazon.com).

P.S. If you order from someplace like Amazon.com, you can always return or exchange your IEMs if you find you can't give them your blessing.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would also consider the Shure E4c.

For $150 or less?

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 15
I think it's better if you buy lower end models first(first time IEMs user). If you buy higher end models(ER4S) then you may not appericiate the details they shows. So to me Panasonic HJE-70, Sony MD-EX90, Shure SE210 are better choice for first time IEMs users.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 15
I have both the ER-6i and the ER-4P and as far as fit goes, the er-4 fit better for me because the tips are smaller and more comfortable. the 6i tips are slightly bigger and can get a little bit uncomfortable after about 1-2 hours. As far as sound goes, the ER4 does sound better, but the 6i's do sound similar(out of an ipod). The biggest difference is that the ER-4 is much smoother. However, Out of a home cd player and a headphone amp, the ER4P sound MUCH better! Oh and the ER-4 does have a tad bit more bass presence.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 15
looking at the Sure SE210 and looking at the website it seems the SE310 is the same but with a little bit more bass? Now you say get these instead of the Ety's first so I can appreciate the sound better?

I've never had an IEM so I might have a problem with the default tip thats on the Ety's having something in my ear wont bother me all that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back