First time Head phone.
Aug 31, 2013 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sicaudiophile

Head-Fier
Im looking to get my younger brother his first set of good head phones. im looking at the

Ultrasone HFI-450

Beyerdynamic DTX 710

Koss ProDJ100

Denon AH-D310

which ones would be the best?
Thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 16
The Ultrasones are probably the best in that range you've got there. I've owned cans from Beyer and Ultrasone and I can tell you Ultrasone does a good job with their entry level models (possibly because the s-logic is in all their headphones, all the way up to the $1000+ edition series)

I'd say to go for Beyers only when you're ready to purchase a DTXXX like the 770, 880, or 990, which are amazing, I have my DT990 on right now and the Ultrasone HFI2400 arriving in the mail tomorrow! (So selling the 990)

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 16
I second the Ultrasones. I have the HFI-780 and they are fantastic for everything. Plenty of solid granite earth shaking bass with no distortion at higher volumes. Detailed clear treble bringing out the musical notes in songs and sweet tonal flow in gaming sound effects with a amazing soundstage on the same level of the Audio Technica ATH AD700 with the additions of bass that does not overwhelm. For movies I hear every delicate slight sound in shows like LOST and haunted environments come to life in many a horror/sci-fi movie.

Comes with a small cord for Ipod use and a 8 to 9 foot extension cable perfect for moving around the room without taking the headphones off.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 16
I second the Ultrasones. I have the HFI-780 and they are fantastic for everything. Plenty of solid granite earth shaking bass with no distortion at higher volumes. Detailed clear treble bringing out the musical notes in songs and sweet tonal flow in gaming sound effects with a amazing soundstage on the same level of the Audio Technica ATH AD700 with the additions of bass that does not overwhelm. For movies I hear every delicate slight sound in shows like LOST and haunted environments come to life in many a horror/sci-fi movie.

Comes with a small cord for Ipod use and a 8 to 9 foot extension cable perfect for moving around the room without taking the headphones off.

So basically the 780's have soundstage that's on the same level of an AD700?

I strongly disagree, although I have only heard the 580's, IMO the soundstage is nowhere near as good as the AD700. Yes, they do have an above average soundstage for a closed back but saying the soundstage is on a level with a headphone you haven't even heard is really wrong.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 16
Aug 31, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
So basically the 780's have soundstage that's on the same level of an AD700?

I strongly disagree, although I have only heard the 580's, IMO the soundstage is nowhere near as good as the AD700. Yes, they do have an above average soundstage for a closed back but saying the soundstage is on a level with a headphone you haven't even heard is really wrong.

Ok the 780's have a soundstage slightly under the AD700. I was looking more at the complete picture and how it all comes together which to me is just as good as the AD700 when looking at how they have more bass and being closed back.

I own both the Ultrasone HFI-780 and the Audio Technica Ath AD700 listening to each at least four times a week for seven hours or more on each occasion while gaming, listening to music and watching movies. It was those two I was doing the comparison with not the 580 which I never heard. I was advocating Ultrasone from my experience with the 780.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 16
I Have DT990s and i love them. This set of cans isn't for me. Its for my brother that listen to an ipod touch 4th gen and his hp laptop. He does down load his music only from cd now because of me lol. But he will not have and amp and he looking for good cans under $60. that can lay flat when hes not wearing them. that's why i listed those headphones. Any other suggestions ?

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
I Have DT990s and i love them. This set of cans isn't for me. Its for my brother that listen to an ipod touch 4th gen and his hp laptop. He does down load his music only from cd now because of me lol. But he will not have and amp and he looking for good cans under $60. that can lay flat when hes not wearing them. that's why i listed those headphones. Any other suggestions ?

I used to have the Koss ProDJ100 and it didn't really appeal to me. Not enough details and I found it lacking in the bass. This was using a Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver as a source. There are a few fellow Koss fans who are bound to disagree :D So if your brother is into decent to heavy bass for gaming and movies he might not be satisfied.

As for your other choices I cant say since I haven't heard them. I can only say the Ultrasone HFI-780 I have is delicious when it comes to loud bass. Whether the 580 has a similar signature I don't know.

Another choice is the Sony MDR XB500. Extremely comfortable and a fun warm sound with plenty of bass. It may need equalizing to get the sound your brother prefers. I play it at the middle bass and treble settings from my stereo receiver which is plenty. When I first got it I did need to equalize it though. Don't know if I got used to the sound or if this was burn in.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I have narrowed it down to the Koss ProDj100 or the Beyerdynamic DTX 710. Any one have experience with both ?

I actually enjoyed the Koss Pro Dj 200, which is $120 at Amazon... in addition I think the Koss Pro DJ TBSE
http://www.amazon.com/Bennett-TBSE1-Signature-Edition-Headphone/dp/B005K5I9QW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2
Is remake of the Orignal Koss Pro DJ 200, many of the owners confirm that in the Koss Pro Dj Thread. They cost a little under $100 and have a nice bunch of extras that come with them.  When I demo'd the Koss Pro Dj 200 I found it to have a simmilar sound to my own Beyer Dt 880 [with more bass on the Koss] so your brother should very much enjoy the sonic upgrade the koss will bring! 

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back