First time Cmoy wall power help
Sep 8, 2010 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

VulgarDisplay

500+ Head-Fier
I'm about to order parts to build my first Cmoy, but I want to do wall power.  After reading the tangentsoft tutorials about wall power I went to try and order a wall wart, and it seems that all of them that he recommended are no longer sold.  If they are I can't find them. 

On my first read of the tutorials I thought it was as simple as just using any DC wall wart with the right output and a barrel connector.  Upon further reading I got so confused that I have no idea what type of wall wart to purchase to power my first Cmoy. Perhaps it would be prudent to just use batteries, but I don't plan on using it as something mobile at all.  

Are there any recommendations for a good wall wart that would work on the tangent cmoy design?  

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 17
Not really. Linear regulated supplies at Jameco cost about the same. Shipping may make a difference - Allied has a $5 surcharge on orders under $25.

Switching supplies are cheaper at both stores, but you probably don't want those.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 17
It certainly looks like a lower cost alternative to me.
wink.gif

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_174879_-1

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 17
It's categorized as a switching supply, but the spec says linear. Your guess is as good as mine as to which database field was populated incorrectly. The datasheet doesn't have an entry in that field at all, although it does list a 5% tolerance.

If it is linear, it feels a bit dishonest...on the other hand, I'm sort of poor.
ph34r.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 17
I don't know if I like what you are suggesting.
 I never would have mentioned it in the context of this thread had I not already known if it was a linear regulated AC adapter or not.
mad.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 17
Don't worry about the wall wart, just build a simple trickle charge circuit and a 9volt rechargeable battery and run it off that
then you won't care about the quality as long as it has enough umph to charge overnight

cheers
FRED

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Don't worry about the wall wart, just build a simple trickle charge circuit and a 9volt rechargeable battery and run it off that
then you won't care about the quality as long as it has enough umph to charge overnight

cheers
FRED

This is my first build, so I "simple" trickle charge circuit might seem like that to you, but it just blew my mind lol...

I haven't touched a soldering iron since my high school electricity class about 8 years ago. Just trying to get back into it for a hobby now that my girlfriend is working 2 jobs.  I'll check it out though.  Thanks guys.  

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
I don't know if I like what you are suggesting.
 I never would have mentioned it in the context of this thread had I not already known if it was a linear regulated AC adapter or not.
mad.gif

I think one of us is getting a little confused, because that seemed a bit non-sequitur from here. I take it though that you have prior experience with the unit in question and know that it's linear? Because Jameco lists it as both.

Quote:

cheers
FRED

You shouldn't really run a battery at trickle constantly.

This is also a bit of an unnecessary workaround. You're going to have to get a DC adapter to charge it anyway, right? Might as well buy a linear supply.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Seems like the datasheet is saying it is a linear by the simplified schematic.

And MisterX always seems to know his parts...

Ah, at the bottom of page two. Thanks, that would confirm it.

Not questioning whether he does...I just don't assume that everyone has used every part that they mention finding in a catalog unless they explicitly state that they have.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 17
I'dn't say to keep it trickle charged constantly I said over night
angry_face.gif

cheers
FRED

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I'dn't say to keep it trickle charged constantly I said over night
angry_face.gif

cheers
FRED

Ah. To be honest, I tend to stop reading run-on sentences once I've got a general grasp of where it's trying to go.

But "overnight" doesn't really make it any better for a desktop application. You either have to be constantly switching or connecting the power (and remembering to do so), or else you have to build a timing circuit to do it for you automatically (at which point you might as well just do on-demand charging).

This sort of thing is necessary for a portable device, but generally unacceptable when "I don't plan on using it as something mobile at all." And it's quite pointless when someone found a cheap linear regulated wall-wart to do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back