First time buying high quality, full-size headphones. Need advice!
Apr 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

metric man

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, first time posting, so go easy on me please :)

I've never had a really good pair of headphones and don't know all that much about them. After looking around a bit though, the audio technica ATH-M50S seems like my best bet. My budget is around $100, but with all the praise the M50S gets I'm willing to pay an extra $20. I'll be using these headphones on my desktop while browsing/ playing games and occasionally while traveling. What are your thoughts? Am I paying too much just for casual use? Should I worry about buying a sound card for my computer?

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't mind open cans, but I'd prefer closed ones. As for the sound signature... I don't know. I just want all round, good quality sound, and durability is also quite important to me. I'm only going to be using these headphones outside when I go on long trips (i.e. go on a plane, long bus ride, etc.) and I already have a pair of IEM's for daily use.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 12
I have both the new ATH-M50x (the recently released updated version of the M50s) as well as Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80ohm) and personally, I prefer the 770s. There are two reasons for my choice. The 770 have much better imaging, realistic reproduction of sound, mind altering (tight) bass that extends quite low (I listened to compositions that have bass bellow 5 Hz (which is technically bellow what Beyer lists as its lower limit) also they are very comfortable for extended periods of time. Very soft headband and some space for the ears is really nice and you dont start cooing after 5 mins on a warmer day. Now for the M50, they also sound amazing but its a completely different feel, they seem very narrow (poor imaging of sound) and the sound has a much higher pitch to it in general (almost piercing, depending on the song) which, personally, results in me not being able to listen to more than a few songs, especially at higher volumes. That is not to say that these headphones sound bad, they really do sound great but its a matter of preference. I really enjoy the open/natural sound of the 770s when compared to the M50s. Otherwise, it really is personal because the M50x are great headphones. Only side note, the 770s, especially the 80 and 250 ohm, will need an amplifier if you want to really hear they're true sound. Hope this helps somehwhat. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 12
  I don't mind open cans, but I'd prefer closed ones. As for the sound signature... I don't know. I just want all round, good quality sound, and durability is also quite important to me. I'm only going to be using these headphones outside when I go on long trips (i.e. go on a plane, long bus ride, etc.) and I already have a pair of IEM's for daily use.

I recommend the UE 6000, which is currently available at closeout prices under $100.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 12
The Beyers, easily, theyre a well known German company that build very high quality products. The headband is all metal, the cups are a sturdy plastic, ear cushions are a very soft/plush material. One big drawback for 770s is that the chord is not removable, that honestly might be the only area of issue for long term use but it is very thick and the attachments at both ends are quite solid, I have been cramming them into my bag for the last 2ish years and I havent noticed any damage. As for the M50s, I have only had them for a few months, they are an all plastic design (besides the slide that extends retracts headphones), fake leather cushions (supposedly the 50x has better material?), articulated joins to move the cup around, detachable chord! I am slightly biased towards the 770, I think they can take quite the beating (no swivels, all metal headband), the swiveling ear cups always freak me out (joints, obvious weak points) but if you dont step/sit on them (even if you do 8/10 times itll be fine).

Summary: build quality of both are very sturdy 

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 12
  What can you say in terms of durability of the ATH-M50X/ M50S and the Beyerdynamic DT 770? Can they last for 6 years +? 

I would take the DT770 off the list if you are planning on taking them on trips.  The M50s and the UE 6000s are more portable.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 12
Yeah those two are a very good beginning, cant go wrong with either, it would be nice if you could get a pair and listen, guitar center usually have a decent selection 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back