First time buying high-end dap. Recommendations?
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dimtrance

New Head-Fier
I really appreciate the high knowledge-level of the forum's members and i hope therefore i can get some good recommendations on a dap i intend to buy.
I have spent hours on research and it seems i get more and more insecure about taking a decision...

I am fairly new to the audiophile world;

I listen to trance music (vocal, uplifting, progressive, psy) using my pc, a dragonfly red usb dac and beyerdynamic t5p gen 2 headphones. This setup provides dynamic, loud sound which i enjoy, although i use eq settings to get more bass.

I want to invest on a dap that can drive my beyerdynamic and give me powerfull sound without the need to use amp. Budget is not an issue, although it would seem fairly unreasonable to spend more than 1500$.

I don't care about streaming apps etc. I am a purist; i need a simple os without bloatware, that can do justice to my aiff files i purchase from beatport.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 9
The Bit Opus #3 is well worth adding to the list, I personally love their sound quality for the price.

Thanks! Haven't heard of it before. Seems interesting.
What expectations can one have in terms of battery life when it comes to daps?
Out of the above daps which would be able to drive my beyerdynamic t5p and provide powerful sound?

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 9
Most high end DAP's only have around 8-10 hour battery life,

The T5p are quite easy to drive and all the players you have listed will work well, the Opus #3 has a nice neutral sound that won't colour the sound of the headphones, but you can use EQ if you need to.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 9
Wm1A has a long battery time, well, longest play back time. Opus 1-2-3 are all you should consider, cowon plenue S ? AK 320...etc....Fiio X7 MKII....etc...

Though if you wanted high-end, I would go with WM1A. It flagship is wm1Z which is $3200...it shares some parts but majority they are almost the same.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 9
A Plenue D I heard recently sounded really nice with a slight warm tilt. Not sure about aiff but I think so. Battery life is reported to be really good. And well within your budget.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Wait for the X7ii, it's gonna be released at the end of the month. It looks like a killer DAP and a nice price to boot.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for all your replies; I think i am close to choosing one between the sony wm1a and the A&K 70.
Different price range but both good players.
One final question; which one of these has higher output? I really enjoy loud, powerful sound.
The AK has 2,3 Vrms (unbalanced), but can't find these specs for the sony. Can't really understand though what this numbers mean :pensive:
Thanks again for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back