First Time Buyer
Apr 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 28
What sort of Amp/DAC should I be looking for? A portable one like the Fiio E11? or some thing more like a desk top amp? Also how do I know if the amp I purchase is enough to run my headphones? BTW I am currently leaning toward the AKG Q701. I will probably just do some shopping around see if I can get the white ones or really and pair for 200 $. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #17 of 28
Open headphones are not a good idea for a dorm room situation or, depending on volume, a library situation (open-back headphones also tend to give out more noise). Depending on how loud your dorms are, you may want to consider getting a closed-back headphone. I know my usage of open headphones almost absolutely stopped when I'm in the dorms because of the noise levels. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
What sort of Amp/DAC should I be looking for? A portable one like the Fiio E11? or some thing more like a desk top amp? Also how do I know if the amp I purchase is enough to run my headphones? BTW I am currently leaning toward the AKG Q701. I will probably just do some shopping around see if I can get the white ones or really and pair for 200 $. 

I'm not really experienced with DACs really, I just mentioned the iMic in my first post because that's what I use, and it works well for me. You could do a search and come up with a lot of info regarding DACs for your computer. It also depends on what you were looking to spend.

With regard to knowing what amp will drive your headphones, you could take a look at the specs of the headphone to get a general idea of what you're dealing with. Things like impedance and sensitivity are two things to keep in mind regarding this issue. At 62 ohms and a 105 dB sensitivity rating, it would appear that these headphones would be fine out of most units. However, I do not have the Q701 and I am merely commenting on speculation.

With regards to desktop or portable amp, in my opinion, depending on what you want to spend, I would take a look at some desktop amps. That's what I would do.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 28
I was looking for more of the sound stage of open cans. My room isnt too bad with noise, do they really leak that much sound that others will be affected by them? I dont know like I said. If you think closed cans would be beter I am open to suggestions. As for Amps I think most Amps will run these two sets of cans I am just looking for bang for the buck at this point.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #20 of 28
I think I have settled on the AKG 701s but have slight hesitation. How much sound "leakage" do you think there will be? Would close cans really better suit being in a dorm since I dont have a specific room for isolation/music. What cans would have a similar quality/sound signature to that of the AKG 701s.

I am still confused what will run which headphones. I understand now that I need a DAC to convert from digital to analog and back again. But  I am still a little boggled by Amps in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #21 of 28
Anything musical you own has DAC (digital to analog converter) built-in them, if they didn't have it you wouldn't be able to hear any music. For example your iphone already has DAC in it.

Both K701 and Q701 headphones need an amp to sound good. And combined cost of amp and these headphones is over your budget.

I have K601, it has similar design to K/Q701 and everyone next to me can pretty clearly hear what I'm listening to.

Since your music source is iphone, you should look at easily driven headphones or perhaps even IEM's (in ear monitors), that way you don't need to buy an amp.

www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 28
The ultrasone Pro 750 seem like good cans from every thing I have read. I am thinking of ordering them and then picking up a Fiio e11? does that sound like that would work?

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #27 of 28
Anyways, my 2 cents for your situation is to just look for a pair of easy to drive IEMs.

May 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #28 of 28
I have a pair of shure SE215Ks IEM's that I love, the problem is I hate using them, the only reason I have held on to them is because I need them when ever I play on stage. For casual listening I want some thing comfortable that I can use for long sessions and not feel any discomfort (or at least minimal). IEMs tend to make the Tragus part of my ear start to hurt when I use them more then like 45 mins. 

So the Ultrasone PRO 750 is what I am planning on getting when I do my tax returns, paired with the the Fiio E11 I am thinking, or I might be courageous and try the alto ids tin amp. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back