First Time Buyer! Need Advice!
Mar 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bag3l

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi, 

I'm going to purchase my first hi-fidelity headphones this week. Had my original purchase of Audio Technica ATH-M50's gone correctly, I would have been the proud owner of some decent headphones months ago, but sadly, they were counterfeits and fell apart shortly after. 

I'm going to give it a second go because my ears thirst for headphones that will deliver and also perform to my standards.

I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2ANV Anniversary Edition right now as a very, very possible choice. Seeing that those headphones are DJ Monitors, I'm wondering if there are any headphones that are better than these and deliver the same kind of sound signature: clear highs, mids, and very clear and profound bass, but better. I've only heard good things about the standard PRO700MK2, but apparently the Anniversary Edition have even clearer highs and mids without sacrificing bass. 

I intend to use the headphones to listen to music casually but I will indeed be using them to DJ too. 

My max budget would land at about $400.

Are there any better options than this? I want to get the best for my money.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 13
For DJing or any sort of monitoring (though hype tells you the opposite), a headphone that is very bassy ruins the sound. If you hear it the way you want it through bassy headphones, the output through speakers will lack bass because the headphones blew up the bass to your ears.

Knowing this, you most likely could split your budget: get a neutral (flat-response) headphone for monitoring and a bassy headphone for casual listening.

For the latter, the PRO700MKII, Ultrasone HFI-580, and M-Audio Q40 would be great choices. All are very bassy and fun to listen to.

For monitoring, the Sony MDR-7506, MDR-V6, or ATH-M50 are well-known monitors (though the M50 is a tad bassy).

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Hello Head-Fi, 

I'm going to purchase my first hi-fidelity headphones this week. Had my original purchase of Audio Technica ATH-M50's gone correctly, I would have been the proud owner of some decent headphones months ago, but sadly, they were counterfeits and fell apart shortly after. 

I'm going to give it a second go because my ears thirst for headphones that will deliver and also perform to my standards.

I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2ANV Anniversary Edition right now as a very, very possible choice. Seeing that those headphones are DJ Monitors, I'm wondering if there are any headphones that are better than these and deliver the same kind of sound signature: clear highs, mids, and very clear and profound bass, but better. I've only heard good things about the standard PRO700MK2, but apparently the Anniversary Edition have even clearer highs and mids without sacrificing bass. 

I intend to use the headphones to listen to music casually but I will indeed be using them to DJ too. 

My max budget would land at about $400.

Are there any better options than this? I want to get the best for my money.

The M50's and PRO700MK2's are essentially the same headphone except that the MK2's sacrifice some of the mids for a heavier bass (they also have a tighter clamp fit). I can't confirm the Anniversary Edition myth, in my opinion it just sounds like a bunch of bull. For limited edition/painted versions of the same headphones, more often than not the only change is aesthetically. If you're interested in the M50's soundprossfessionals.com actually has a super deal going on right now, you can get a brand new pair LE, White, Coiled/Straight cable, any variety for $120. Two other headphones I can recommend are the V-MODA M-80/V-80 (more neutral sounding) and the Crossfade LP2 (DJ headphones; heavy bass).

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 13
Oooh okay these are great reccomendations and I'll be taking some time to look into them to see which one I feel is the best one. Are there any other headphones that are superior to the ones listed already, for all the previously listed features and reasons? I can't find an over-all ruling for the "Best DJ headphones" so far. 

EDIT: I like how headphones such as the LP2 look amazing aesthetically, but it bothers me that the cords are not detachable which means that if something goes wrong at the connections, your whole headset goes to ****. Detachability is a huge selling point unless the headphones are like, 100000% amazing. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Oooh okay these are great reccomendations and I'll be taking some time to look into them to see which one I feel is the best one. Are there any other headphones that are superior to the ones listed already, for all the previously listed features and reasons? I can't find an over-all ruling for the "Best DJ headphones" so far. 

EDIT: I like how headphones such as the LP2 look amazing aesthetically, but it bothers me that the cords are not detachable which means that if something goes wrong at the connections, your whole headset goes to ****. Detachability is a huge selling point unless the headphones are like, 100000% amazing. 

They do have a detachable cable in fact they come with two (3 button remote and audio only). All the V-MODA over-ear/on-ear headphones do.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
They do have a detachable cable in fact they come with two (3 button remote and audio only). All the V-MODA over-ear/on-ear headphones do.

Woah I didn't know that! I did a test-drive of my friend's LP (Not LP2) and i wasn't aware that the cord was detachable... I may have found a definite contender to the pro700mk2's. How is the general opinion of the sound quality of the LP2's? I've read the only PRO700MK2 reviews on head-fi so I know what they SHOULD sound like. How about the LP2 and PRO700MK2 head to head, which one would be the better option? And would any of the Ultrasone's be any better than these two? How about the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II's?

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 13
For DJ duty, the HD-25 I II definitely bests all the other options in your latest post. It's a bit more balanced and less boomy, as well as being ultra-stretchable and durable to an extreme degree.

As for casual listening, if you want something bassy the PRO700MK2 would be my personal choice.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 13
I've also heard that the V-moda cracks at the hinges, is that true?

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 13
V-Moda headphones are generally built like tanks, but their few areas of weakness tend to be catastrophic.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 13
If you liked the sound of the ATH-M50s, and the closed-ear sound, then look at Denons. 

The Denon AH-D2000s can be had used for around $220. 

I have a pair of Denon AH-D5000s I'm selling for $415 shipped. They are the next model up, have a very lively bright sound, and have mahogany cups. 

Other ones to consider in your price range are: Sennheiser HD-650s, Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 (pick the impedance based on how much power you can provide them). 

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
If you liked the sound of the ATH-M50s, and the closed-ear sound, then look at Denons. 

The Denon AH-D2000s can be had used for around $220. 

I have a pair of Denon AH-D5000s I'm selling for $415 shipped. They are the next model up, have a very lively bright sound, and have mahogany cups. 

Other ones to consider in your price range are: Sennheiser HD-650s, Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 (pick the impedance based on how much power you can provide them). 

Great suggestions, but Detachable cords and Superior Isolation is a big dealmaker for me. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:

Great suggestions, but Detachable cords and Superior Isolation is a big dealmaker for me. 

The Lp2 is detachable....... 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
The Lp2 is detachable....... 
rolleyes.gif

Haha I know, but I want to have more options than just 2 headphones. Anyone have any insight on the TMA-1's? Are there any headphones on the market that are better than either the PRO700MK2, LP2, and TMA-1, keeping in mind that I'm looking for a headphone that serve purposes similar to the ones listed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back