First time buyer (DAC/Amp), would like some info and suggestions.
Sep 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Alucrid

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm trying to find a set up for my needs and I'm pretty new to all of this so I'm not sure if what I think I need and what I think the items can do are correct. Basically what I want to do is be able to connect my computer and turntable through a single amp and have that amp connected to my speakers. For the PC audio I'll run that through a DAC first, then to the amp, right? And for the turntable I'll need an integrated amp with a phono input, correct? Finally, my speakers (Swan M200mkII) have the standard RCA connectors, so they should be good with pretty much any amp, right? So I suppose that if my info above is correct, I'll probably be looking for suggestions (an amp with a headphone out would be nice), if not then I'm looking for corrections.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I suppose a budget would help too. I'm looking to spend around 1200 for the two pieces of equipment. Perhaps more if that price is impossible to hit, or if the difference is that good.

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet...

Now you are aware there is an abundance of information on Head-Fi? That written the information overload can blind you.

To conclude I am not after the same set up you are after, nor can I stretch my budget that much. Therefore I can only wish you the best of luck. May you find what you seek...

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm going to go out on a limb and say US Dollars. Us Yanks tend to think that's the only world currency. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Hi,

I'm trying to find a set up for my needs and I'm pretty new to all of this so I'm not sure if what I think I need and what I think the items can do are correct. Basically what I want to do is be able to connect my computer and turntable through a single amp and have that amp connected to my speakers. For the PC audio I'll run that through a DAC first, then to the amp, right? And for the turntable I'll need an integrated amp with a phono input, correct? Finally, my speakers (Swan M200mkII) have the standard RCA connectors, so they should be good with pretty much any amp, right? So I suppose that if my info above is correct, I'll probably be looking for suggestions (an amp with a headphone out would be nice), if not then I'm looking for corrections.

Thanks.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Edit: I suppose a budget would help too. I'm looking to spend around 1200 for the two pieces of equipment. Perhaps more if that price is impossible to hit, or if the difference is that good.

I have the Swans M200 MKII and they have a built-in amp, so be careful and do not run an amplified signal into them. They need a preamp signal. You'll need to take the usb output of your PC and run it to the DAC, then to a preamp or amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back