first time amp builder, which amp to choose
Sep 28, 2005 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nysulli

500+ Head-Fier
well, as the title suggests, i'm looking into building my first amp, and i have a little experience in troubleshooting electronics, so i'm torn between these three

millet hybrid
budget m^3
maxxed pimeta

they'll be paired with HF-1's or sr-225's and a creative x-fi as a source as well as the occasional use off my pioneer dv-45a

mostly i listen to rock/metal, and as for sound, the only combo i can comment on is the sr-225's on a musical fidelity x-can, which to my ears sounded just about right, not overly harsh, not overly bright, but the one thing i didn't enjoy was the noise level, there was always some audible backround hum

my budget is only about 200 bucks, so i know the m3 would be a bit over, but if the cost was worth it, then i'd build it, speaking of which, power will be supplied via a TREAD unless its really a bad idea, or batteries possibly if the pimeta is what i end up building.

i'd like to hear anyones suggestions on what might be the best route for me to go, thanks in advance

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 22
I believe you can build an M^3 for ~$200. I built an M^3 with a TREAD and it sounds great. I just don't know if it is the right amp as far as dificulty to build as your first amp.

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 22
i guess everyone have their own way of building their amp, i like to build one that worth the build.. if you have all the tools already and just need the part with 200 i say you can try a millet hybrid, that was my first build. i haven't pick on any second project yet but hopefully will soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 22
well, recently i've been really tempted to try out the millet, although from the parts lists i've seen i was under the impression that it would cost more like 125 with a TREAD

but after thinking about it, i think i should strike the m3 from my initial build lists, as much as it might be when i would like to have as an amp, setting one up without any experience could just end up taking more time then i could really put into it

so, i guess its between the millet and the pimeta for now

anyone had a chance to compare the millet to an x-can since thats the only tube amp i've had a chance to hear

Sep 28, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
I would say build them all but start with the Pimeta.
evil_smiley.gif

That's my plan. I've only built the pimeta so far. I think the M3 is next.

Sep 28, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 22
3 for the pimeta, 2 for the millet

one more question, hows the pimeta sound compared to a moy based amp with seperate L and R opamps and buffers with similar quality parts?

i only ask because thats the only opamp based amp i've had a chance to hear

Sep 28, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli
one more question, hows the pimeta sound compared to a moy based amp with seperate L and R opamps and buffers with similar quality parts?

The PIMETA crushes any "Cmoy" amp, plain and simple. That said none of the choices you listed are particularly difficult but can vary in cost by quite a margin. It really is worth noting that depending on what case you use the cost of an amp can go WAY up.

That said, for a first run, I'd give the PIMETA a shot. Go for a budget of $125 or so and see what you get, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And it's both tweakable and upgradeable which is nice.

My 2¢,

Nate

P.s. I'm currently well into the MisterX plan, just look at my sig
600smile.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 22
Start with the PIMETA but keep in mind that eventually you'll want to build the others as well (check my sig).

....We need a DIY rehab plan.

Sep 28, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 22
oh, i know i'll want to build others, i'd love to build a ppa, but with my current equipment, i fear it would bring all of their shortcomings so far forward that it would make listening less enjoyable

as for parts choices, i plan on going with high end parts, elna's, vishney dale's, etc. but skipping the bass boost, but i guess that means tonight its time to put a little parts lists together
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I believe that is generally referred to as "marriage"
biggrin.gif

N

Aren't you married? Doesn't seem to have slowed you down a bit. Everytime my gf brings my hobby up, I just remind her of her elaborate shoe collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli
oh, i know i'll want to build others, i'd love to build a ppa, but with my current equipment, i fear it would bring all of their shortcomings so far forward that it would make listening less enjoyable

I had a similar thought a while back. Since I primarily listen to mp3s, I went with the M3 (which I understand to cover up a lot of those source flaws).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back