First shot at vinyl, hows this look?
Nov 29, 2010 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pHEnomIC

100+ Head-Fier
I want to try vinyl out and get something enjoyable and worthwhile without breaking the bank.

I got a technics 1200 mk-2 (new tone arm and recabled), shure 97xe cartridge (hear its one of the best bang for the buck), and a 750LC preamp from phonopreamps.com. (the cartridge and preamp are shipped on the way)

Going to be using my audio-gd compass as a headphone amp w/ denon d5000s.

Am i missing anything?

Will this achieve my goals?

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Great choices.  You did your research clearly.  Get your stuff hooked up, then you just need some vinyl.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 4
pHEnomIC, Good for you!  Remember, Watch your Shure's cantilever!  I'd refrain from brushing off any dust/lint. etc.etc. from your stylist with anything other then a really smooth/soft brush and don't go overboard with any stylist cleaner...... Just Blow baby Blow........Keep your eyes out for a record cleaner. (start saving)...........Also Hit the 1/2 price book stores and library record sales!!.... I refrain from playing "Crappy" records........Now just enjoy yourself and your new SOURCE!!!

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 4
That sounds like a solid setup.  I'm sure you'll be happy with the sound. Once you get everything, head over to vinylengine.com and download a protracter to properly align the cartridge.  It makes a very significant difference in sound to do this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back