First Set of Speakers
May 6, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 20
Okay well I just found an old Pioneer VSX-D309 receiver that my family never uses that is in perfect condition!

So I am going to give it a test, but I have good hopes for this little guy. It should be a good start point with 60w into 8 ohms with optical, coax, and rca inputs.

May 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #17 of 20
there you go. that'll be a nice starter amp. 

Quote:
Okay well I just found an old Pioneer VSX-D309 receiver that my family never uses that is in perfect condition!

So I am going to give it a test, but I have good hopes for this little guy. It should be a good start point with 60w into 8 ohms with optical, coax, and rca inputs.

May 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #18 of 20
Well I went into the store and got to listen to the B & W 685's. I am pretty impressed with how sharp and clean they sound, although they benefited a lot from a powered sub. But I also did not have anything else to compare them with in a similar price range.

I will be going back to the store later in the week, this time with my receiver and a cd of songs to demo, and perhaps another set of ears to help.

I am still in debate of whether I should spend about $600 on the speakers or get a nice set of headphones and a tube amp.

May 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 20
Well I went into the store and got to listen to the B & W 685's. I am pretty impressed with how sharp and clean they sound, although they benefited a lot from a powered sub. But I also did not have anything else to compare them with in a similar price range.

I will be going back to the store later in the week, this time with my receiver and a cd of songs to demo, and perhaps another set of ears to help.

I am still in debate of whether I should spend about $600 on the speakers or get a nice set of headphones and a tube amp.

If your living conditions allow you to crank up music from time to time definitely speakers! For $600 you may also consider these. I believe they have a at-home trial or money back guarantee if you don't like them. That's also the problem with demoing in store you won't know how they sound in your room until you get them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back