First Set of Speakers
May 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

buddyboy1

Head-Fier
So I have decided to pursue my desire for a higher quality audio listening experience =)

Here is a list of speakers that I am looking into:

B & W 685
Monitor Audio RX1
Emotiva ERM 6.2
PSB Imagnie B
PSB G-Design GB1
Focal Audio Chorus 706v

They will be used entirely for music listening; I listen to anything from folk, country, classical, jazz to alternative, rock, rap/hip-hop, pop.

Things to Consider: I think I want a front ported design so that I can place the speakers closer to a wall. I am leaning away from "monitors" and closer to a speaker with a nice sound signature. Size and weight are not an issue as long as the speaker is a "bookshelf" speaker, I would actually prefer them bigger.

I will be going to the nearest audio store in hopes that they will allow me to listen to/demo some speakers. I only know that they have the B & W and Energy speakers for sure, but I will be looking at anything else they have in the price range. These speakers are at my absolute maximum Budget (around $650-$700, I told myself I will not go higher, not even $701, lol maybe not that extreme).

I am completely new to the realm of any passive speaker or anything non-logitech, bose, etc. really (sad I know) and I want to go into the store to discuss speakers and what I want in my speakers with at least a little bit of prior knowledge. The thing is that I don't know anything about the required amplifiers. I am looking for something as cheap as possible that will get me by until I can afford something up to spec, so around $100 tops. Most of the speakers in the price range require 30W-100W rms, but for now I do not need SPL, I want clarity.

If anyone would like to add some insight/recommendation to the speakers I have listed, or perhaps a pair that is not listed and the same for an amplifier, it would be greatly appreciated. If there are any key things that I should know or prepare for before I go in to the store, that would also be a big help! (i.e. Should I bring in some songs? If so, what kind/sample rate/ bit rate etc.)

Thanks in advance!

May 4, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 20
IMO vintage sound is better and the looks are better than what you can get today. I would say search your local craigslist and snatch up a deal for a pair of speakers. In your price range, make sure they are in working order. Dont buy any Fisher speakers,etc

May 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 20
vintage speakers can be nice but not all are the greatest. even some well known vintage speakers sell as much or more as modern speakers. but yes going vintage can save you big money and you can find amazing sound for the money.

op do you mind floor towers? i bought a pair of  pioneer sp-fs51-lr floor standing speakers for 200 a pair and they are very good sounding. they are very natural sounding,detailed and have an amazing soundstage performance. they were also engineered by well known speaker designer since the 70's, andrew jones. they are not huge towers. they have a very elegent design and i thought they sounded much better compared to the 200 dollar piece polk floor towers and 400 piece klipsch towers. both were too bright for my tastes. if you try for klipsch or polk audio i like their vintage speakers better like the polk monitor 10's with the peerless drivers and klipsch cornwall II's. for rest of you budget if you can find a perfect working order vintage sansui,kenwood or yamaha amp you'll be set.

just a suggesting. 

May 4, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 20
depends. you can find very nice vintage speakers for good money but that's getting lucky cause usually people who have good known speakers know how much they are valued at and can sell them for crazy prices.also all speakers are different. best thing to do is ask around.place like audio-karma is great for speakers and vintage gear.

Quote:
Well I wouldn't know how to get a hold of any vintage speakers/amps.

And what exactly do you mean mean by more sound per $? Like more volume or quality? or both?

May 4, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 20
I recently bought some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s for $320 + $22 [NZD] shipping ($275USD). Bought a budget amp, Topping TP20 for $100NZD incl shipping ($80USD). Not sure what it sounds like yet. I have an old amp which I plan on powering them off until the budget one arrives in the next few weeks. I can tell you how it sounds if you'd like? I mean.. i'm not expecting this to blow me away or anything, I just wanted something better than what i've currently got at my desk. I get the speakers off who I had them delivered to on Sunday which will be plugged into my old A&R Cambridge A60 until the budget amp arrives.

Look into the TA2020 amplifiers.. They're Class-D amplifiers (which generally aren't regarded highly by audiophiles) which aren't very accurate.. I suspect it will be sufficient for my needs, I expect my headphones to remain champion of my desk :p

Note: Brand new, incl warranty

May 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 20
There is nothing wrong with Class-D amps there accuracy (freq responce) is no different to A/B or T , The only downside with class - d is the higher frequences suffer due to the switching speed , where A/B doesn't have this problem because it's a push–pull circuit not a switching mode circuit, the audioable difference is class A/B sounds a bit cleaner and clearer in the higher frequences but modern class - d amps aren't far behind , pratical differences are class - D is alot more efficient and produces less heat than A/B,  class T is basically an improved class D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_T_amplifier

May 4, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 20
class A and a/b amps do get crazy warm since i believe they always have all their transistors active and having more active dissipates far more heat. i think class A/B was meant to only activate transistors when needed but they still get very warm. i have a vintage class A/B sansui au-d7 amp and it gets crazy warm when even at idle if left on but has insane power reserves when wanting to drive hard loads. i think the push-pull design is more effeceint when it comes to heavy loads cause it can draw more power if needed through the circuits to the speakers.

i also think lot of class a/b and A amps are direct coupled so that's another reason why they might sound cleaner. there are amps tho that are direct coupled that don't have a class identification and sound great. you right tho. cause of the class or specs you rally can't judge the amp yourself unless you personally heard it. i even heard amps with horrible THD ratings but sounding wonderful through speakers.

May 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 20
My class A/B amp never gets warm unless driven really hard for a while it is a newer design and does use to 2 variable speed fans to cool it, solid state amps mostly sound the same you could choose a decent amp based on specs, it's speakers and headphones that actually move the air to create sound that have the biggest differences and where your money is best spent.

Here's an intresting blind test between amps, http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm and here http://www.bruce.coppola.name/audio/Amp_Sound.pdf

May 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 20
Well the reason that I am looking at bookshelf speakers is because the speakers will be at or near a desk (I am a college student). I figured that towers at a desk would be odd, and would not be at the correct listening height. 

Some of the T-amps that go for around $100 only have a power output of around or 15 watts at 8 ohms, will these be sufficient power?

Are these the amps you guys are referring to? Right now I am looking at these:
Dayton DTA-100a
Dayton DTA-1
Dayton APA150

I just need something to hold me off until I can afford something better. I will look into the class T-amps more.

May 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 20

well it depends on impedance dips of the speakersas well. most of my speakers i use dip below 8ohms and stay within 4-6ohm impedance on avg in the frequency range and my amps handle them no issues. only my sansui au-d7 gets warm. it has no fans. just a large silver heatsink and the larger caps are active with it's own jacket on top direct coupled to the speaker outputs of the power amp driver board. the power comes in handy when powering large PA speakers or multiple sets of speakers.  
Quote:
My class A/B amp never gets warm unless driven really hard for a while it is a newer design and does use to 2 variable speed fans to cool it, solid state amps mostly sound the same you could choose a decent amp based on specs, it's speakers and headphones that actually move the air to create sound that have the biggest differences and where your money is best spent.

Here's an intresting blind test between amps, http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm and here http://www.bruce.coppola.name/audio/Amp_Sound.pdf

May 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #14 of 20
well if your edgy on buying from craigslist. they do fine for now.. i suggest looking into the sherwood stereo amp at radioshack for 99 bucks. it's 100wpc and designed like the older amps from the 80's. great amp. see if local rdioshack has it. matter of fact here's the amp. 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2407171

if you want a newer amp this sherwood be worth the money.

Quote:
Well the reason that I am looking at bookshelf speakers is because the speakers will be at or near a desk (I am a college student). I figured that towers at a desk would be odd, and would not be at the correct listening height. 

Some of the T-amps that go for around $100 only have a power output of around or 15 watts at 8 ohms, will these be sufficient power?

Are these the amps you guys are referring to? Right now I am looking at these:
Dayton DTA-100a
Dayton DTA-1
Dayton APA150

I just need something to hold me off until I can afford something better. I will look into the class T-amps more.

May 5, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 20

i forgot to answer this. well the pioneers i suggested are not very big at all and can stand next to a basic computer desk no problem with plenty of room to spear. depending on your height and how far back you sit the tweeters are at ear listening height i mentioned them also cause there well worth more then the asking price and in my opinion if you enjoy a balance on axis response and natural  sound you might like these. you can give them a peak at any local best buy. shame they don't promote these pioneers like they do the polks or klipsch because they are much better buy with lots of power handling. you can give them a test as well but i never liked any speaker hooked up to a HT receiver really and can return them. if not you might want to look into studio monitors instead if your gonna sit close to a monitor all day and studio monitors are better at near field listening compared to passive bookshelf speakers.

lot of passive bookshelf speakers need to be on stands and good distance apart with little toe-in to sound their best. just making a suggesting of course. 
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back