First set of over ears. Looking for fairly detailed cans with some extra bass
Aug 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jimmy19963

New Head-Fier
Hey all, this may be just another "which one?" thread but I'm having a hard time picking some headphones. I've got a budget of $100 but I can definitely deal with some used stuff off the trade section, eBay, Amazon, etc. I've been looking at the Shure SRH840s, the JVC HA-S500s, and the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. I like a little extra bass in my music. I currently own some UE TF10s and love them but I feel like they lack that extra oomph in the bass that I like. These are gonna need to be closed because I don't want to bother or be bothered by others while I'm on the train or at school. Thanks for your help and hopefully you don't all hate me for beating the dead horse.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Ok so, more details. I listen to Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, Eric Hutchinson, John Mayer, and others of that nature. I absolutely love vocals so that will probably be the most important part of these. I want them to be over ear rather than on ear. I will be plugging them into my iPod Touch 4th gen and my laptop. Not sure what my laptop has for a sound card but I'm sure it's fairly decent. It's an Asus G74SX-3DE in case anyone cares to investigate. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 5
I got the M50 and the S500, you wont go wrong with them. s500 is very close to the M50, but im hearing microdetails,its insane.

Overall, the M50 sounds better but it is a very close call, S500 wins in portability in my opinion and looks better if your are going to use them walking around, public transportation,etc

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 5
I like that the S500 is so portable and cheap and a lot of people are saying that they sound great. My one issue with them, though, is that they're on ears. I've got fairly big ears and a fairly big head. The ear cups just don't look like they'd fit over my ears and that kind of bothers me since all of the on ears I've ever tried have been very uncomfortable. Anyone else? Suggestions? I hear that the M50 is a lot more neutral now. True? I like that deep thump of drums and bass guitars so I'm looking for something on the bassy side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back