First set of cans
Aug 5, 2009 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

reign

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty much just beginning my journey into higher-grade audio, and am looking for my first set of cans. I decided to get some pk3's for my first set of buds (thanks to help from this thread), and have been thinking that I might as well get a nice set of full size headphones too
smily_headphones1.gif

The only thing i have right now that are close are my Icemat Audio Siberia's (Open ear gaming headset) which are meh, plugged into a Creative X-Fi XtremeAudio sound card.

My price range is under/around $70 and the qualities im looking for include:

- Something that has good clean yet powerful bass (never had headphones that delivered strong bass, so that would be nice)
- A somewhat-wide soundstage
- Quality built (will last)

I listen to mostly rock (weezer, shinedown etc) drum and bass (pendulum etc) and some hip-hop (jurassic 5 etc)

So far from looking around i've gathered that these might be good options, but I'd like to hear what other people have to say about these and some others.
- JVC RX900
- Sony MDR-V6
- Creative Aurvana Live

Also, when I order my pk3's I think i'll buy a Fiio E5 just for fun since it's only $22, and i've never had an amp of any sort. Just thought i'd throw that out there.

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 21
AT AD700 might do piss poor with drum and bass music from all I read about it. And certainly won't deliver the "strong bass" you're after. My vote goes to Sony MDRv6, and they are built to last (some people have had these since for over 15 years). Try to find a Sony Style store at a mall near by you, and go check them out:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tail_Locations

they're almost always on display.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 21
For $10-$20 more you can get the Denon AH-D1001k, but if not, I can't really think of any 'phones with strong, clean bass in that price range.... Well, you could lower the price range and go for Sennheiser PX100 or Koss Portapro

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 21
What's the difference between the AH-D1001k and AH-D1001s?

The cheapest AH-D1001k's i can find are still over $100 which is a little much

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 21
if you're looking at the denon d1000/1001, you might want to consider a used pair of creative aurvana live's. they're suppose to be pretty much the same as the denon's.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're looking at the denon d1000/1001, you might want to consider a used pair of creative aurvana live's. they're suppose to be pretty much the same as the denon's.

They are going for $64 new right now on amazon, but on of the reviews said that the bass is very normal and not that pronounced?

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to consider grado SR60s for the rock.

I did, but I would prefer a closed option, and a pair that isnt lacking in bass

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RX700 for ~$33. Sounds amazing. And FWIR, someone with both D2000 and RX700 said the RX700 were about 80-85% of the D2000's sound... at considerably less cost.

I'll take a look at those. Whats the major difference between the RX700's and the Rx900's?

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by reign /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did, but I would prefer a closed option, and a pair that isnt lacking in bass

Just don't expect to get good isolation with the D1001's, as it's pretty bad at it. I'm mentioning that right now since many people who are looking for a closed headphone do so to have isolation. Of course, you may or may not care about that, I wouldn't know. Just mentioning that in passing in case you do. I'm assuming the same for the CAL! since it's apparently more or less the same headphone.

And there's no difference between D1001 and D1001k besides the colour.

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AT AD700 might do piss poor with drum and bass music from all I read about it. And certainly won't deliver the "strong bass" you're after. My vote goes to Sony MDRv6, and they are built to last (some people have had these since for over 15 years). Try to find a Sony Style store at a mall near by you, and go check them out:
Retail Locations | Sony | SonyStyle USA

they're almost always on display.

The only two headphones I have, and I'm torn between them to be truthful. The bass on the MDR-V6's is better, the ATh-AD700's can produce mids and highs better.

So Drum and bass may benefit from MDR-V6, but the ATH's can produce amazing results with live music and other electronica, like Oceanlab AKA Above and Beyond.

of the music you listed, both headphones would present hte music you listed in different lights, but I'd reccomend the MDR-V6. I'm very familiar with both cans.

I'd rather listen to Above and Beyond on the ATH-AD700's, I'd rather listen to Billy Joel on the AT's as well. I'd rather listen to Hip Hop and R&B on the MDR-V6's. For example, the dream is like the MDR-V6's lover.

I can grab a few songs from shinedown and I have a weezer album at home. I'll give them a listen tonight and tell you which sounds better. Pendulum is either way.

The ATH-AD700's are not my default can though, by any means, they're for short bust sessions only. I have had trouble sleeping lately because of the AT's, the soreness that comes up from using them in my neck causes me to toss in turn. Wearing them at least for me involves a balancing act.

MDR-V6 for comfort, but do get the beyer pads, they add a lot to the can in terms of comfort and fit.

MDR-V6 on a PC especially, because you can EQ in the mids and highs. Persoally I'd say start with the V6, and get the ATh's by refurb like I did, if you're curious.

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by reign /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take a look at those. Whats the major difference between the RX700's and the Rx900's?

The rx700 has a cleaner and clearer sound(simple mod). http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ha-...ctures-378741/

The rx900 bass is bloated and muddy up the music,if you listen to vocal do not I repeat do not get the 900's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back