First Set of CANS!!!!
Feb 22, 2009 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tkl.hui

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
After much research and help from head-fi and overlock.net, I have finally got my first set of decent cans. I ended up getting the Denon AH-D1001 and so far, they are amazing. Then again, I'm sure anything is better than my old sony mdr-v150s i got for free
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyways, here's some pics:

DSC02853.jpg

DSC02856.jpg

DSC02858.jpg

Now, my next plan is probably to recable these once I grow some balls. (No way I'm tinkering with these headphones for a while) And perhaps getting a portable amp.

Thanks again head-fi for your help.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkl.hui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone,
After much research and help from head-fi and overlock.net, I have finally got my first set of decent cans. I ended up getting the Denon AH-D1001 and so far, they are amazing. Then again, I'm sure anything is better than my old sony mdr-v150s i got for free
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats, and welcome. IMO, the Denon house sound has among the best balances of the things that make for a great time: crisp highs, nicely filled-out mids, and enough bass. I'm not sure putting a couple hundred bucks into a decent recable of your 1001's is going to get you much further than where you are, though. Take that money and either put it into something that'll give you more bang for your buck: a better source, better amp, or even a higher-end set of cans.

Not that I needed to say anything... now that you've got the bug, it'll be no time before you've got all of the above, and still want more (and more, and more....)

In the meantime, don't let upgrade-itis take the fun out of the huge step you've just taken. ENJOY YOUR NEW HEADPHONES!

Ira

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 10
They also get better after burn in =)

EDIT: chzplz:
with the "grow some balls" statement you can assume he is planning on recabling them himself.. which costs ~$20 or so.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They also get better after burn in =)

EDIT: chzplz:
with the "grow some balls" statement you can assume he is planning on recabling them himself.. which costs ~$20 or so.

Re burn-in: Aye, absolutely.

Re balls: Oh, didn't pick up on the DIY recable thing... you're probably right. As can be seen from what I've done to my Denon 5000's (Markl'd and Black Dragon recabled), I'm one of those (poor fools/brilliant geniuses- your choice) (well, definitely poor, even if genius) who thinks there are gains to be had with high end recables, but who knows... anyway,best of luck to OP.

Ira

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 10
It's nice to see someone is satisfied!
I'll recable them for $30 as long as you let me listen to them.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Congrats!

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Congratulations! Enjoy and have fun. Listen to some Enigma with those, sounded good with the D2000, expect nothing less from your D1000s.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Congrats OP, I also got the Denons very recently and am loving it as well. What I especially like about it is how it seems pretty "airy" for closed headphones, resulting in all the instruments and notes resonating and separating well. Although this may be the reason why this doesn't isolate well at all... (sound more like open pair of cans). It's almost good as my SE530's, just with with better highs and slightly more veiled mids... bass is about the same. My source is Sony S639 and it matches well I think. Oh, and Most. Comfortable. Cans. Ever.

Just a question, what will the burn in help with? More mids, or punchier bass?

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 10
So far, been burning them in for 24 hours. I don't really mind that it leaks in sound, I'm just glad it doesn't leak out. Its also good that it leaks in sound so I can hear if someone is trying to talk to me.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back