First Real Pair... AD700 vs SR80???
Mar 6, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 21
It might be a better idea to get more expensive headphones, rather than cheap headphones and an amp. The SR80 and AD700 both don't require an amp to sound their best.

If you pooled all the money into the headphones, you could buy the SR225i. It's often considered the best Grado in the Prestige series, even though it's $100 less than the 325is. The two are different flavors mostly, but the comparison speaks wonders for the 225. Then at a later date you can get an amp.

The lack of soundstage of the Grados will hurt your Pink Floyd experience a little, but they're a great pair with classic rock.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be a better idea to get more expensive headphones, rather than cheap headphones and an amp. The SR80 and AD700 both don't require an amp to sound their best.

If you pooled all the money into the headphones, you could buy the SR225i. It's often considered the best Grado in the Prestige series, even though it's $100 less than the 325is. The two are different flavors mostly, but the comparison speaks wonders for the 225. Then at a later date you can get an amp.

The lack of soundstage of the Grados will hurt your Pink Floyd experience a little, but they're a great pair with classic rock.

Good thinking here. Truth be told, I don't have the funds to get the AD700's and the amp at once, but I need new headphones, so I think my ordering will look like this:

AD700s->LittleDotI+->Upgraded Cans in the future (SR225i?)

Or would the Littledot I+ bad for the higher-up Grados?
confused_face_2.gif

This is where the site's slogan comes into play...

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehsn1p3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome. Did you opt for either of the tube upgrades, or just stock? I hear a lot of good words about the EF92.

I went with the EF92 upgrade because it was only $20USD more. Get that as well.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehsn1p3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thinking here. Truth be told, I don't have the funds to get the AD700's and the amp at once, but I need new headphones, so I think my ordering will look like this:

AD700s->LittleDotI+->Upgraded Cans in the future (SR225i?)

Or would the Littledot I+ bad for the higher-up Grados?
confused_face_2.gif

This is where the site's slogan comes into play...

I did the same exact path you stated, except for the 325is instead of the 225i.

I bought the AD700 first to satisfy my gaming and music needs. I later then purchased the LD1+ and with it, the improvement on sound quality was noticeble. Then recently like a week ago I purchased the 325is, and I FREAKING LOVE IT!
smile_phones.gif
My music sounded unreal.

If you like the sound signature of the AD700, then you will love the 325is.
Heres the initial transition.
1. More sparkle in the highs
2. More punchier bass.
3. More of a in you face cans.

But, they do have its cons.
1. Significant decreased soundstage.
2. A lot less comfortable.

Overall though, I love it.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 21
Oh man, it's sounds like I've got myself a nice little game plan here. Thanks fir the help again, guys. I'll certainly look into the SR325. They'll probably be a fair deal cheaper when I'm ready to buy again, so that's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back