First Real Pair... AD700 vs SR80???
Mar 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tehsn1p3r

New Head-Fier
Hello HeadFi! I've been lurking here for a real long time, and here's mah first post.

My uncle recently let me demo his super-fancy amazing-sounding audio set up. Ever since then I've been looking into getting into my own audio stuff. Since I have no room speakers, and limited income, headphones seem to be right for me!

I've pretty much narrowed my selection to the Audiotechnica AD700's and the Grado SR80s. I could use some help with my pick.

First off, I'll be getting a nice turntable off of my uncle, and an Audiotechnica phono amp. He advised I get a pair of nice, affordable cans and a Littledot amp.

So, yeah, looking around, the AD700s currently have my favor. Especially after reading this review. I'm willing to sacrifice bass for detail in most cases.

I listen primarily to rock (the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Cars, etc.), with some light electronica and jazz thrown into the mix. Which cans are right for me? Any other suggestions in the ~$100-150 range?

Also, would the Littledot 1+ be a wise decision?

Thanks, guys!
atsmile.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd pick the AD700. Although the SR80 is brighter and upfront I like the soundstage, comfort and the overall clarity of the AD700 and they're easily powered.

That seems to be the consensus I see. Countless people say that AD700s are about the best beginner cans, so I'm pretty sold.

Second opinions are always good though.

EDIT: Eaerror, well.... I listen to more mellow rock. Nothing too hardcore, ever, so is the added power of the SR80s really beneficial?

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 21
I listen to what I would describe as acoustic folk rock. Mellower than say, Led Zeppelin (although I like a good hard rock song now and then). I just got the AD700s today, and I can say that they're excellent. The soundstage, detail and air of them are very impressive, right out of the box. They're very lightweight and comfortable, too (more comfortable, I imagine, than SR80s). It is true that they lack a tiny bit in the low end, but that doesn't mean the bass isn't extended and tight.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 21
Can't speak for the SR80's but I really like my new AD700's. Tremendous bang for the buck. They are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. I really don't think the bass is bad at all. Amped and sitting in a quiet room they have excellent range and the soundstage is simply amazing........amazing.

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 21
AD700. Very comfortable. Less than $90.
Great sound stage..

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 21
It kinda depends on your specific application...

If you listen to music which is not very bass heavy or if you intend on sitting for a while ad700's are your best bet.

But if what you listen to is better sounding with heavier bass then the grados are better, but be warned they aren't very comfortable... thier pads are basically a rough sponge.

Both are open style phones, so they will bleed sound. It's not enough to disturb the neighbors, but it's enough to annoy someone sitting next to you.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 21
The AD700's are fine but beware; they have zero bass what so ever. I didn't think they would have so little when I got them but it's fine because I use them for sound whoring on call of duty.

Perry

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 21
I have 3 pairs-ad700,senn hd595 and sr80 and i mostly use the ad700, they sound great on almost every genre and they're very comfortable.
They're all good headphones but if i was to keep only one it would be the audio technica.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 21
Thanks for all the help guys!
beerchug.gif
I'm going for the AD700's. They have no contest, as it seems. Plus, bleeding sound is a non-issue for me, all I care for is the music, not what others think.
tongue_smile.gif

As far as amping goes, is the Littledot 1+ a smart choice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astropin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't speak for the SR80's but I really like my new AD700's. Tremendous bang for the buck. They are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. I really don't think the bass is bad at all. Amped and sitting in a quiet room they have excellent range and the soundstage is simply amazing........amazing.

What amp are you using?

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 21
I used the LD1+ with my AD700 for a while now, they definately improved the bass and everything sounded with a bit more of clarity. With the amp, music sounded more lifelike. Definately get the amp.

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwnRhasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the LD1+ with my AD700 for a while now, they definately improved the bass and everything sounded with a bit more of clarity. With the amp, music sounded more lifelike. Definately get the amp.

Awesome. Did you opt for either of the tube upgrades, or just stock? I hear a lot of good words about the EF92.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back