First real headphones (IE8's)
Jan 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TeaMoney

New Head-Fier
I've never actually owned a pair of what could be classified as real earphones. I've owned several pairs of buds that generally have a bad on this forum due to just not knowing any better. Namely several pair of Bose IE2's which broke every 5 months, and a pair of Beats Solo's which killed my ears. 
So in light of discovering this forum, I decided to purchase a pair of Sennheiser IE8's. They're supposed to be here sometime tomorrow afternoon and I would love to have a heads up about what to expect. Especially comparing them to my previous sets of headphones.
Also I've heard that IE8's have isolation issues due to the stock tips they come with. Anyone have any tips they can recommend?

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 4
I use Sony Hybrid tips with my IE8's - I tried Comply tips, but didn't like the way they attenuated the highs - although I like the foams on my TripleFi 10's and my Audiofly AF56's.....

I would suggest trying  lot of different tips until you get ones that fit and sound "right."

I haven't had the isolation issues many speak of - Now I can hear others around me when the music is low - but when they are humping along, you have to enter my field of vision to get my attention - so I don't think that is an issue.

One thing to be wary of - there are a LOT of fake IE8's around. Where did you buy yours? Are you sure they are authentic? If they sound really tinny (lack of substantial bass) they could be fakes. There are a lot of other ways to make that determination as well. If they are real, keep in mind the sound really opens up after many hours of burn-in - they may sound a bit muddy out of the box...

Cheers, they are a great set of IEM's.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Welcome to the IE8 fold... :)

I also use Sony tips with mine. 

And yes, hopefully you bought your pair from an authorized dealer!

Enjoy, man!

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I use Sony Hybrid tips with my IE8's - I tried Compy tips, but didn't like the way they attenuated the highs - although I like the foams on my TripleFi 10's and my Audiofly AF56's.....

I would suggest trying  lot of different tips until you get ones that fit and sound "right."

I haven't had the isolation issues many speak of - Now I can hear others around me when the music is low - but when they are humping along, you have to enter my field of vision to get my attention - so I don't think that is an issue.

One thing to be wary of - there are a LOT of fake IE8's around. Where did you buy yours? Are you sure they are authentic? If they sound really tinny (lack of substantial bass) they could be fakes. There are a lot of other ways to make that determination as well. If they are real, keep in mind the sound really opens up after many hours of burn-in - they may sound a bit muddy out of the box...

Cheers, they are a great set of IEM's.

I bought them off the For Sale forum here at Head-fi. I was skeptical of buying them anywhere else just simply because the only place I could even find IE8's at was Amazon, and I was relatively sure that those would be fakes as they weren't sold directly from Amazon LLC. I'm guessing this all is because the IE8 has been discontinued, but I had a hard time finding it in me to spend $450 for IE80's when they're essentially the same as the IE8 that I got a lot cheaper.

The guy I bought them off of has been too helpful and open at this point for me to have a reason to believe they were fakes. Not to mention he supplied me with his receipt from when he bought them originally. So I think they're legit. Of course I won't know 100% for sure until I have them tomorrow, but if they are then it happens sometimes and I'll just have to deal with it appropriately.

I found another thread on the forum saying that the MEElectronics Long single flange tips were good, so I just bought a whole pack of MEElectronics tips. They were quite cheap and came with 10 pair. So hopefully I can find a pair that work for me. 

Should be a fun day tomorrow! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back