First propper headphones
Mar 9, 2021 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Becis

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I am looking for my first proper open backs headphones.

I have currently following setup:

Music source: Samsung Galaxy S20 - Spotify
DAC/AMP: Xduoo Link 2
Headphones: AKG K550

I am thinking what would be the best investment to the whole system? My opinion is to buy the most expensive headphones which I can afford, which would be Hifiman Sundara. What do you think about that or do you think other headphones whould be better? Later I woud like to buy some proper combo of AMP/DAC, but for a while the Xduoo Link could be enough?

Thanks for you replies!

Best regards,
Becis

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 7
The other choice which I would have are AKG K712 PRO, because I can buy them around 270usd which is way less than 440usd for Hifiman Sundara. However I read that they are quite amp picky, so I am afraid if the Xduoo Link 2 would be enough for them.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 7
I've recently had the same problem as you, and personally I'd either go with a pair of DT 990 pros or HD 560s's, they're pretty great value, but I must admit I still haven't decided between the two.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Honestly I think that the sundaras are some of the best cans you can get for the price, but a worthy alternative with a different sound signature would be the sennheiser HD650’s. These have a warmer and more “closed in” sound than the sundaras, but they preform better in terms of their midrange (especially with vocals) and are easier to listen to because of a more relaxed signature overall. Unfortunately the senns are decently hard to drive because of their 300ohm impedance rating.

As for the k712 I honestly think that if you are concerned about driving them then the sundaras would be a better option, unless you really want the immense soundstage of the k712’s.

Also, for the sundaras, a price of 440usd is quite a bit more than what you can find them at on Amazon, which is about 350usd

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back