first project, questions about soldering supplies
Sep 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

BK_856er

100+ Head-Fier
Getting ready for my first audio DIY project, an AMB Mini3.

I think my iron is probably fine for this task.  Do I need a smaller tip for the soldering iron?  Mini3 has two surface mount components, which will be a first for me.

I have three types of solder on hand.  Is one of the three options below preferred, or should I pick up something else?

Soldering iron = Weller WES51 (temp adustable, std. pencil tip that came with it).

1) 60/40, 0.032", 1.1% flux NC601 (Qualitek)

2) 60/40, 0.032", 3.3% flux RA300 (Qualitek)

3) 60/40, 0.050", flux "44" (Kester)

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BK

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 36
Check out soldering techniques for smd parts on the web and also on tangent's site.

It would help to practice a bit before soldering the Mini 3 op amps  parts.

I  use a spade tip instead of a pencil tip for better heat transfer to the work. I usually set to 700 degrees F and apply the tip for 2 seconds to minimize heat transfer to the part.

Check every part and its orientation twice before soldering.

Good luck and have fun.

F

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 36
Thanks for the info!

Dowloading the videos now from http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/

I'm hoping the Mini3 leads to more advanced amp projects in the near future....

BK

Quote:
Check out soldering techniques for smd parts on the web and also on tangent's site.

It would help to practice a bit before soldering the Mini 3 op amps  parts.

I  use a spade tip instead of a pencil tip for better heat transfer to the work. I usually set to 700 degrees F and apply the tip for 2 seconds to minimize heat transfer to the part.

Check every part and its orientation twice before soldering.

Good luck and have fun.

F

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 36
You will want to get a smaller tip, the one that comes with that iron is great for most
work but is too big for SMD. I have four different tips for mine.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 36
Mini3 kit arrived today from glassjar.

Those tangent videos were very helpful - helped ease my mind about the tiny SMDs.

Picked up a Weller ET0 long pencil tip (1/32"x0.8mm) and a spool of 0.025" 63/37 RA core solder.  The WES51 station came with a smallish spade tip.  Hopefully I have the bases covered there.

I'll definitely practice a bit before the assembly.

BK

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 36
Overheating isn't a great idea even for through-hole. You should be using about 250C assuming 63/37 solder. That's more than enough to do the job quickly, extra heat will just cause problems. If you're having trouble with it at that point, your technique is what needs to change, not the heat setting.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 36
Busted open some old modems with the idea of desoldering components and then resoldering them for practice.  Desoldering is a lot of work.  Flux is your friend.  I need lots more practice to consistently make good clean joints with minimum heat!  And I need a strong light and a magnifying glass.  I think I'll grab a big bag-o-parts and some virgin boards to accelerate the training.  No way I'm ready for the Mini3 just yet...

BK

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 36
Desoldering is a pain even when it works right, especially for rigid multi-pin through-hole parts.

I started on hook-up wire and a square of protoboard from Radio Shack. Cheap, disposable, and more than enough to get you past the first hump.

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #14 of 36
The tangent videos were good, but some of the stuff here takes things to a whole new level.

I downloaded some of the lengthy IPC courses and identified a few things I was doing totally wrong (hand soldering seven sins).

The curious inventor video on surface mount soldering was also quite good, showing some very useful techniques.  Loads of other good soldering info by them as well.

I'm sure this stuff is common knowledge for skilled professionals with formal training, but for a hack like me there is lots to learn.

BK

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 36

Quote:
some of the stuff here takes things to a whole new level.

Some of those URL texts look fairly interesting, but many go to 404s...

Also, I'm not sure there is such a thing as formal training for soldering. I hang around with EEs all day, and pretty much everyone I know taught themselves, picked it up through a friend or mentor, or picked it up on the job (academic and industrial).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back