first "production" dblab ppa (almost) complete!
Oct 6, 2004 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
here is a teaser!

DSC03134%20(Medium).JPG

NOTE: This is NOT a real commercial production amp. It's just my personal project that I wanted to make really professional looking. This amp when finished will not be further produced and marketed for sale. So this thread isn't violating any Head-Fi rules.

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Hi doobie
cool.gif

What is the sil screening you've used? Cant make out clearly - just wanna know what name you finally decided on
wink.gif

Looks stunning - care to email pics to me?

YGPM
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not silkscreened; it's laser-engraved on black acrylic. Yup, it's not aluminum.
wink.gif

I've settled on the original dblab. dooboo audio lab.
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
It's not silkscreened; it's laser-engraved on black acrylic. Yup, it's not aluminum.
wink.gif

I've settled on the original dblab. dooboo audio lab.
wink.gif

That's some highly impressive stuff - beautiful.

Oct 6, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman
That's some highly impressive stuff - beautiful.

Thanks for your kind comments! That one panel took about half an hour to sand down to perfection... Now I have to do the front panel as well...
tongue.gif
And in the process I've inhaled way too much fine acrylic powder... (in addition to all the molten acrylic fumes from cutting them with the laser cutter this morning...)

Oct 6, 2004 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

...took about half an hour to sand down to perfection...

I was wondering how the lettering got that subtle rounded edge. Awesome!
icon10.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by yhmzzz
Wow... I'm looking forward to it..
Do you have a plan to sell this amp?

As stated on the first post... no.

This amp was designed in collaboration with a fellow Head-Fier who will soon be the owner of this amp (along with one for myself). The design process started over summer and it has taken a long time to finish the amp. The actual making of this amp is taking a lot more time than I originally expected (even the sanding down of the front and rear plates takes more than an hour!) because I am doing everything by hand, and I have no plans to repeat the process as I need to focus on school as well.

Oct 6, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Thanks for your kind comments! That one panel took about half an hour to sand down to perfection... Now I have to do the front panel as well...
tongue.gif
And in the process I've inhaled way too much fine acrylic powder... (in addition to *all the molten acrylic fumes from cutting them with the laser cutter this morning...*)

You have a laser cutter that's capable of doing work that fine or did you have access to one through a friend? Is it computer controlled? That's really pretty nifty, and I'd be interested in finding out about how to do stuff like that at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back