First post: the right DAC for my system
Dec 12, 2017 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

inakaguy

New Head-Fier
Hello from Japan,

I recently inherited a '70s Technics system, of which I am using the SB-7000 speakers, SU-C01 preamp, and SE-C01 amp.

The amp seems to work fine. The speakers sound good, although the tweeters sound a little metallic. I am going to disassemble one over the holidays to see if I will be able to replace the ferrofluid. I'm also going to run the speakers from a different amp, and run different speakers off of my amp, to verify that each component is working OK.

Other components are a PC running a DLNA server over fast wireless, and a Chromecast Audio.

For now the Chromecast audio will feed the preamp via RCA, but I am interested in adding a DAC between the two. For this purpose, will I need a line out, or a preamp out? And, with that in mind, what budget DAC is recommended for this purpose? My audio goal for the DAC is 'better than the Chromecast' (and it will need an optical in for the Chromecast). It'll be a while before I buy any more components that will allow me to hear a jump in quality beyond that.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 13
Long story short, you need a wireless DAC, feeding your preamp? or can the DAC be wired?

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 13
The Modi Multibit might be a good starting point.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 13
You mentioned you're looking for a budget DAC, but didn't state your budget.

I owned both of the DACs recommended here and think they are the best I've heard at their respective price points.

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 13
You mentioned you're looking for a budget DAC, but didn't state your budget.

I owned both of the DACs recommended here and think they are the best I've heard at their respective price points.

Well I was hoping for the sub-$100 price point, but these are not far off and still very reasonable. I'll look into them both and save up if I have to!

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Well I was hoping for the sub-$100 price point, but these are not far off and still very reasonable. I'll look into them both and save up if I have to!

The USB only version of the JDS Labs OL DAC is just $99. It's actually the best DAC I've heard under $200.

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/176/ol-dac/

The Modi Multibit is better, but $249. You also have to leave it on for optimal sound.

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 13
Does the Chromecast have digital out?

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Well then you need a dac that does optical .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back