First post: Question about iPod setup
Jun 3, 2005 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MalemuteKid

New Head-Fier
I just recently bought some Sennheiser HD 201 and Shure E2 and am using them with my iPod at work. I would like to use the line-out on my dock and have volume control. I saw that Shure had a line adapter with an inline volume. I think this will work for me, but is there a better way to go about this?

Jun 3, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi MalemuteKid, welcom to Head-Fi...(you probably know the rest). I posted about this in the E4c thread since the package comes with a Shure attenuator with volume control. I plugged the attenuator into a PocketDock into the line out on my iPod and it works great. You'll get the benefit of going through the line out (bypassing the internal volume control = clearer sound).

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
does it get it to pretty high volume with none canal phones??

Well, it depends on the impedence of the headphones (how hard it is to drive). The line out is about equivalent to the headphone out at the highest setting. If you find your headphones to be of adequate volume then the line out should work just as well.

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 6
AFAIK a line out is a high voltage/low current output for amping; making it unsuitable to drive most headphones.

Not that I have tried it, I dont think that using the line-out directly (volume attenuator or not) will sound that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back