First post, and some info needed about ATH-EW9
Jun 3, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #16 of 18
Demo some Koss KSC-75's first before you start thinking about a dearer portable solution.

Jun 3, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
One name that hasn't come up yet though, is Stax SR-001. I'd previously associated "Stax" with "Electrostatic, and thus unattainable. Look elsewhere". But the price on these seem rather reasonable.

The price on electrostatics includes the amplifier, and when you take that into consideration, I think they're actually very reaonably priced and often cheaper than the comparable dynamic + amp solutions. The SR-001, for instance, will run you about $350 with all the peripherals included, and a comparable setup (Etymotic ER-4S with amp and peripherals) will usually run you $450 and above, depending on the price of the amp. The SR-4040 electrostatic system will cost you less than $1300 from Audio Cubes, and a comparable HD650 + tube amp system will typically cost at least as much, and most likely more. Now, I'm quoting Audiocubes prices, and I think local US dealers are overcharging far too much for their gear. Keep in mind also that AC charges substantially more than the local Japanese prices.

The biggest issue with electrostatics is that no one has an electrostatic amp lying around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
And can someone tell me how, exactly, something like headphones can become such an obsession so quickly? I'm being pulled under fast, and drowning is so much fun :p

That's because headphones can give you a glimpse of real high-end speaker performance for a fraction of the cost. If it wasn't for headphones, audio would be prohibitively expensive, but now, for a few grand, we can sample sound that would otherwise take tens of thousands of dollars to achieve. On top of that, the practicality offered by headphones is incredible, and you can take your high-end sound basically anywhere, without consideration for room acoustics or excessive noise pollution.

Just my .02. I don't know where you can audition gear in Australia, but if there is a chance to, I suggest you take advantage of it. All of our reviews, all of our opinions, are going to be worth nothing next to what your ears will tell you. If you can't, then make sure there is a return policy on the gear you want to audition. Yeah, I keep pushing the 001 on people because I love it's sound, but that doesn't mean that other people will like it as much as I do. The system has it's faults (like comfort), and you'll never know whether or not you can live with them until you try it out for yourself.

Regards,

cat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back