First post and Hello
Aug 25, 2006 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I googled for headphone discussions and this forumn was at the top of the list. I've been reading the various threads for the past couple of weeks and this seems like nice friendly place.

I'm not an audiophile or have top-of-the-line equipment. Basically my kit consists of an iPod and the Super.fi 5 Pro IEM's. Recently I purchased the Behringer AMP800 and Behringer FBQ800 because of the price and because I'm trying to get more customizable sound from my iPod.

While the Behringer are 'mini' in footprint, they aren't portable like an iPod or HeadRoom BitHead amp but I wanted something reasonable for when I listen to tunes sitting in the comfy recliner!

I haven't had much time to spend messing around with the iPod, Behringer stuff and Super.fi's but so far I'm able to get the customization I was looking for. Plus I like to watch the led's - lol...

I'm a convert from a set of Shure Ec3's to the Super.fi's. I also have a set of Koss Porta Pros that I discovered back in the 80's with my Sony Walkman. I'm very interested in the Shure PTH500's but am anxiously waiting for the Ultimate Ears offering - yeah I participated in the contest too - got my CD in the mail so that must mean they didn't pick my title - oh well.

At one point last year I bought a pair of Senheiser HD555 and a HeadRoom BitHead Amp but wasn't impressed at all. I experienced a lot of clipping and - in my opinion - for the price - not so spectacular sound. I tried the setup on my iPod and PowerBook G4. I ended up returning both items to HeadRoom.

So far I've been the happiest with just my plain old iPod and the Super.fi 5's - as a matter of fact I wouldn't look much further if the iPod just had a customizable EQ. For me, some music needs a little more bass, some may need the mid's tweaked, or the high's and so on. I just don't get that from the iPod. I'd look into other players but some of my favorite music is protected AAC. The rest of my collection (10,000+) is 196 or higher MP3. I wish iTunes would provide an option for buying higher bitrate's music though. 128 seems like the bare minimum.

I'd love to expierment with other formats but I don't have most of the original sources so I'm kinda stuck.

Sorry for the book but I think a first post should have a little substance. I may end up getting some over-the-ear headphones for the Behringer equipment so suggestions are welcome in that respect or about any of the other stuff I've mentioned.

Thanks,

xcodeguy (Dave) from www.xcodeguy.com

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Excellent stuff Dave. Welcome to Head-Fi and enjoy your stay. I'll be looking forward to more of your posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back