First portable headphone amp
Nov 20, 2008 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mambo5

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, im looking into buying my first headphone amp.
Budget: $100-ish max. NOT OVER $150
Music: Hip hop, rnb, some rock, some techno.
headphones: pk1, senn hd555, ad700 and rx700 on the way, pl30. Can a portable headphone amp drive all of these? Like a multitasker?
and i also own a fiio e3 but am longing to upgrade to an ALMOST big boy amp lol.
Im considering,
ibasso t4
minibox d
headroom total airhead
little dot micro+

any suggestions?
and also where to buy them?

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 5
Well I cannot speak for any of the amps you are consider at the moment.

But I own a pair of Sennheiser HD555 myself and I got a PA2V2 amp from Gary and it works wonderfully with the HD555 as the PA2V2 is designed for low impedence headphones. Its a great starter amp, cost is around $50-$60. But with your budget you will probably get recommended the LDM+ over this by the more experienced members.

EDIT: BTW the PA2V2 lasts forever on 2x 1.2V Ni-MH batteries lol. So far mines been going for 90hours+ and I still haven't recharged it once. I can probably have to recharge my iPod 6-7 times before I will have to recharge my Amp at this rate lol.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 5
I'd just wait for the FiiO E5. Its pretty much all you really need for a portable system.

I found that even though I have a Corda XXS, its just too annoying to carry it around all the time, and I only ever use it at home.

Spend your money on a home amplifier. It'll be worth it (I'm on the hunt for one).

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 5
iBasso T series are in that budget range if i am right?

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just wait for the FiiO E5. Its pretty much all you really need for a portable system.

I found that even though I have a Corda XXS, its just too annoying to carry it around all the time, and I only ever use it at home.

Spend your money on a home amplifier. It'll be worth it (I'm on the hunt for one).

i actually have a home amplifier. I think. Its an old kenwood stereo reciever. It has its own bass and treble controls, so i consider it an amp. It paired with a kenwood 5 disc cd player.
lol but it works. Works pretty good if i do say so myself. I just need to find some speakers to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back