First portable headphone amp?
Jan 8, 2007 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gutiarguy

New Head-Fier
Greetings - my first post here although I have been lurking for awhile. (and please excuse the mispelling of my screen name caused by my crappy typing skills!)

I travel a lot for work and find that my iPod has become my main source for listening to music so I have been thinking about a simple upgrade that would enhance my listening pleasure, especially during air travel. For In-Ear-Phones I have both the Westone UM2 and Shure E5c with which I use Westone UM56custom molds and I expect to have Westone ES2's very soon - I just need to get remolded since the master got damaged.

What would be a good recommendation for my first Headphone Amp? It needs to be highly portable and I really don't want to put a ton of money into this right away.
I have been watching several threads about the XTRA X1 - would that be a good choice?

I am also pretty good with a soldering iron so a kit would not be out of the question.

Anyway - thanks in advance for the information.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 12
Do you have a budget?

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 12
Since you have up to $200 I would suggest one of Dr. Xin's amps: Supermicro IV or Supermini IV. Be prepared to wait at least 2 months (he is finally shipping them out and it looks like a 6 to 8 week hold time.

If you can not wait I would suggest the Go-Vibe 5, under $100 and use the other $100 for a line out from either ALO or Turbo.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 12
ok, im gonna advocate my x1 here, if you are not looking to spend much and want a smooth, warm and musical amp. paired with es2 will be very dark and lush sounding (coming from e5c, contemplating es2). mine is awesome.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, im gonna advocate my x1 here, if you are not looking to spend much and want a smooth, warm and musical amp. paired with es2 will be very dark and lush sounding (coming from e5c, contemplating es2). mine is awesome.

Agreed. It seems to me that some regular portable amp posters/reviewers in this forum have an inclination towards a light, electrostaticy, analytical (in a pejorative sense) sort of sound quality. That could justify their overlooking the X1 which is awesome for the price to me, too.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 12
I already have a Tomahawk, otherwise I'd be seriously looking into an Xtra X-1. The Tomahawk is fantastic with my Future Sonics EM3, and since it was designed using Shures, I'm sure they would be great as well. Of course, the Tomahawk is pretty expensive at $300, but given the combination of sound quality, fit & finish, and Ray's famous superb customer service, I think it was worth it. But then, I also listen CONSTANTLY. And with the EM3 at least, the Tomahawk sounds very musical to my ears (never harsh). Unless I use my Etymotics ER6, but that's just because those things suck. Heheh.

BTW, johnnywolfet, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is EXCELLENT! Love that band/act. Great stuff!

-Packgrog

NP: The Mars Volta - Eunuch Provocateur

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by inconnu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. It seems to me that some regular portable amp posters/reviewers in this forum have an inclination towards a light, electrostaticy, analytical (in a pejorative sense) sort of sound quality. That could justify their overlooking the X1 which is awesome for the price to me, too.

I am definitely looking for "warm and smooth" vs. over detailed and clinical. There are times when I want a lot of detail but for the most part I find that analytical sound fatiguing.

For the most part I will use this on airplanes with my E5c or ES2.

Thanks for the replies.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 12
Saturday I compared the C&C with various amps and if you want to keep it under $150 this is also a great unit. The soundstage is huge and it offers a lot of detail and punch in the lower frequencies. I believe it sounds better than the X1 or the Faith. So in ascending price:

- Go-Vibe 5 about $82 delivered
- C&C about $110 delivered
- Supermicro IV about $182 delivered

Remember to set aside at least $60 for a dock/cable from your iPod to the amp. Two options Turbo or ALO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back