First plunge into decent headphones! Beyer DT700 v AKG K550 v ?
Jan 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

adamCCC

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Ive decided to invest in some decent headphones.  Ive been scouring these forums reading a lot of posts, to the point now where I have become completely indecisive on which to buy!

As for their use, it will mainly be for music (i like all sorts of music but must say, do like a bit of bass! I would'nt say it would be a deal breaker tho) but also be used for playing the occasional game & watching movies (i currently have an old pair of sony wireless headphones for watching tv and movies at night, which I am praying will die any day now!).

I have been looking at the AKG K550's, reviews are mostly good and I love their design, I think they look nicer than most.

The Beyer DT700 PRO have also came into consideration, ive read that they are good for bass.  Theres also the DT990 floating about!

I guess ive semi decided on one of these 2.  However I am a bit confused about the Beyer DT700 pro's.  Having done a quick search on amazon, the 250ohm version (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-250/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358971359&sr=8-1) is cheaper than the 80ohm version (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-OHM/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358971359&sr=8-2).  By comparing both of the pictures, there are also definitely cosmetic differences. 

Again, from reading the forum, i think the 80ohm would be ok with an ipod/iphone etc whereas the 250ohm would need an amp? (The only amp i would consider is a small fiio e6 or similar)

Why are there cosmetic differences between the 80 and 250 ohm?  Is one a newer version?

I would greatly appreciate any input, as im currently going round in circles!

Thanks

Adam

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 8
Speaking from personal experience, if you like bass, the DT990s are really an excellent choice to consider. Very impactful and controlled bass on those.

The lower ohm models will be easier to drive but the higher ohms are thought to sound better when properly amped.

Haven't heard the DT770s but from what I've read, they are also very competent phones.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
As for their use, it will mainly be for music (i like all sorts of music but must say, do like a bit of bass! I would'nt say it would be a deal breaker tho) but also be used for playing the occasional game & watching movies (i currently have an old pair of sony wireless headphones for watching tv and movies at night, which I am praying will die any day now!).

What kind of music do you listen to?

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I really like most genres apart from metal.  I guess I listen to more indie/rock and dance music than others.  But I equally like older music aswell. 

The reason I ask is that you mentioned you like bass.   Some people like mid-bass (the punch and thump), and some people prefer sub-bass (the low end rumble).    The DT700 offers more of mid-bass, while the K550 excels with the sub-bass.   I'm guessing you will like the DT700 better with your music preference.  

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
The reason I ask is that you mentioned you like bass.   Some people like mid-bass (the punch and thump), and some people prefer sub-bass (the low end rumble).    The DT700 offers more of mid-bass, while the K550 excels with the sub-bass.   I'm guessing you will like the DT700 better with your music preference.  

what kind of bass does the dt 990 have?
does it have sub bass , low and rumble

and the dt 880 , what kind of bbass does that one have
also sub bass?

i like subbass and want the dt 880 600 ohm, doe you know  if you can get a sub bass on the dt880 with the e17 (boost the bass option)

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
what kind of bass does the dt 990 have?
does it have sub bass , low and rumble

and the dt 880 , what kind of bbass does that one have
also sub bass?

i like subbass and want the dt 880 600 ohm, doe you know  if you can get a sub bass on the dt880 with the e17 (boost the bass option)

I have only heard the 770s, but from what I've read I think the 990s and the 880s also have more mid-bass than sub-bass (someone correct me if this is not the case).   I believe you will need to use software EQ to raise the sub-bass (I hate to use EQ, so I'm no expert)...but perhaps the 880s have enough sub-bass for your tastes. 

Look at this thread for descriptions of the 880 and the 770: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

Users who are viewing this thread

Back