First PC build soundcard
Jun 1, 2013 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wafflezz

100+ Head-Fier
Ok. So basically, I'm about to build another PC and I think I have all the specs I want down except I have no clue what the best price-to-sound ratio soundcard would be. I'm stuck between getting the asus xonar essence, and the creative soundblaster z(x).

I hear the asus has better sound quality but I really like the look of the soundblaster audio control module thingy. It seems super convenient and I'm worried that with the asus, I won't be able to get a good direct connection to the soundcard through just the normal case.

Does anyone have any suggestions on nice soundcards for gaming and music in general? Or should I go with an external amp/DAC? I was also looking at the O2+ODAC as a possibility

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 15
Well if you think you could live without a built-in sound card there aren't many that will compete with the ODAC/O2 sound wise. I have heard that some have trouble with the drivers for the asus cards. I have an older Soundblaster myself and while it isn't as good as my external dac, it is pretty good.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 15
The X-Fi Titanium HD's always my first suggestion, where PC gaming is concerned. Yes, even above Creative's newer Z-series.

Asus could be a contender, but nobody's managed to pry out EAX 3/4/5 support from Creative's iron grasp yet (or wrap them into vendor-inspecific EFX calls), and Dolby Headphone can't leverage DirectSound3D/OpenAL positional audio data the same way CMSS-3D Headphone can.

The ODAC has no gaming DSP support whatsoever, but is a convenient little plug-and-play device for the audiophile purists out there who don't want to mess around with drivers. It had zero difference from my Titanium HD in actual sound quality, though.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 15
The ODAC has no gaming DSP support whatsoever, but is a convenient little plug-and-play device for the audiophile purists out there who don't want to mess around with drivers.

Oh really? Certainly, plug and play without messing with drivers is a benefit for many people. But I used to have the Xonar STX and switched to the ODAC and O2. The sound was slightly better to me. Since I had the card already installed with the Xonar UNi drivers, obviously, I didn't do it because I didn't want to mess with drivers . :rolleyes:

To the OP: One advantage of the external DAC/amp is that you are less likely to encounter problems that internal sound cards have with interference caused by the computer. Many people don't have problems with internal sound cards, but it can happen. Not only that, but both the Creative and Xonar cards are not optimum for supporting low impedance headphones. If you plan on using 16 ohm or 32 ohm full cans or IEMs, the O2 is a slightly better choice because of it's low impedance output.

So if gaming is not a priority, the O2/ODAC combo is a good choice. If you want to some money and don't need portability, the Schiit Audio Modi and Magni DAC/headphone amp stack is a good choice for external as well. I haven't heard the Modi/Magni, but there are enough testimonials that indicate they are comparable in SQ to the O2/ODAC that either seems an equivalent choice.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Oh really? Certainly, plug and play without messing with drivers is a benefit for many people. But I used to have the Xonar STX and switched to the ODAC and O2. The sound was slightly better to me. Since I had the card already installed with the Xonar UNi drivers, obviously, I didn't do it because I didn't want to mess with drivers .
rolleyes.gif

Sorry if that sounded a little condescending; wasn't my intention.

Do note that we're comparing different sound cards to the ODAC when making statements about its sound quality; I've never had a Xonar Essence STX or any other C-Media-based card, but my X-Fi Titanium HD is no slouch, either. I volume-matched the Titanium HD and ODAC, put on some music, and...frankly, I couldn't hear a difference, and my mind was in full analytical nit-picking mode.

This doesn't mean the ODAC sounds bad-it clearly deserves its praise-but I get the impression that the divide between USB DACs in the ODAC's price range and high-end internal sound cards isn't as "OH MY GOD MY MUSIC SOUNDS TEN THOUSAND TIMES BETTER!" huge as some people make it out to be.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 15
This doesn't mean the ODAC sounds bad-it clearly deserves its praise-but I get the impression that the divide between USB DACs in the ODAC's price range and high-end internal sound cards isn't as "OH MY GOD MY MUSIC SOUNDS TEN THOUSAND TIMES BETTER!" huge as some people make it out to be.

I completely agree. The difference I heard between the ODAC and the STX was very minor when switching back and forth between the the two using the O2 and the STX line out.

But one other advantage of an external DAC is that it can be used with many different devices, such as laptops, some tablets, some phones. An internal sound card is only good installed in a computer.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
I completely agree. The difference I heard between the ODAC and the STX was very minor when switching back and forth between the the two using the O2 and the STX line out.

But one other advantage of an external DAC is that it can be used with many different devices, such as laptops, some tablets, some phones. An internal sound card is only good installed in a computer.

You have a point regarding flexibility. If I had a USB OTG adapter cable at the time, I would've tested that ODAC with my Galaxy S III, just to see how audiophile you can get with a modern Android smartphone. On that note, plug-and-play without dependence on drivers generally means the OS used is less of an issue: Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, take your pick, it's all good.

On top of that, many of the advantages that internal sound cards bring are only relevant to PC gaming under Windows anyway, so even if you could interface one with a smartphone or media slate somehow (never mind that one does not simply convert PCI-Express to USB), why bother?

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. So I understand that a legitimate soundcard and external DAC with amp are not gonna sound too different. Minor change at best. 
I'll probably go with the cheapest or most convenient solution. Also, how does the Schiit stack(magni-modi) compare to the O2-ODAC?

I heard they were also very similar but the Schiit costs less so I'll probably eliminate ODAC from my options

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 15
Yes. If you don't need portability in an external dac, the Schiit stack is considered comparable. If you search the the threads for the Magni and Modi, you'll find people that have listened to both generally see them as equivalent in SQ.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Yes. If you don't need portability in an external dac, the Schiit stack is considered comparable. If you search the the threads for the Magni and Modi, you'll find people that have listened to both generally see them as equivalent in SQ.

Ok great. Magni/Modi it is for the DAC. And it's still between the Soundblaster and Asus Xonar. I'll probably go with the soundblaster z(x) because of the cheaper price in comparison and also the external module thing. But I still have one more concern, and that is...will these amps be too powerful? The soundblaster is advertised going up to 600 ohms and the magni amp also seems pretty legit in that regard. Will it fry my headphones or cause them to sound wonky if I have let's say, a 32 ohm pair?

EDIT-My bad. i don't want both. I was narrowing down my options. Ya, getting both would be redundant 

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Why do you want a sound card and a DAC/headphone amp? If it's just to get the gaming sound enhancements and you want the external, then find a DAC with optical inputs and get an inexpensive Xonar or Creative card that has the DSP features you want.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 15
Because I heard there could be some phasing or sound problems if the amp is too powerful. I don't know maybe I'm wrong. Obviously the amp isn't gonna need to use a lot of power but maybe by default it will cause problems for lesser resistance stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back