First PC audio setup
Jul 1, 2009 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JMT391

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I am mostly on head-fi to discuss portable phones, but I am going to college in the fall and I want to invest in a nice setup. Problem is I've never really understood PC audio beyond the speakers plugged into line-out setup.

The latest sound card I currently own is an audigy 2 ZS, which does not have optical/coaxial out. As far as I understand, the PCs hard drive acts as a type of "CD Player" which sends music to the sound card, the DAC, which sends music through optical/coaxial to a headphone amp, which then sends music to the headphones.

Is this correct? Before I start budgeting out a system I'd like to familiarize myself with everything.

EDIT: Just an FYI, I will most likely be building a desktop PC so desktop soundcard suggestions are welcome.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Addressing your understanding of PC audio:

No, the hard drive acts as a CD. They are both storage devices in which a person can store data. The music files are data. The music files are in digital form (aka binary code). The soundcard contains a DAC and/or DSP chip that processes the digital data and then translates the digital data into analog data (aka information over time like frequency) which can then directly be input into a speaker. Due to the waveform features of analog signal, the magnet of the speaker driver interpret the data into oscillations that automatically translate into sound as the speaker driver gets to work.

You do not send digital data (aka optical or coaxial) to an amp. You only send analog data via line out connectors like balanced, TSR, stereo connector, mini stereo connectors, or RCA into an amp. You do not want to put an amp before the DAC because you do not want to amp a digital signal.

So. Hard drive or CD (which contains music files) >>> Digital (aka optical or coaxial if externally connected, otherwise carried by circuit board) >>> DAC >>> Analog (via balanced, TSR, stereo connector, mini stereo connectors, or RCA) >>> Amp >>> Speaker Wires (carrying amped analog signals) >>> Speaker

What's your budget for your soundcard? Generally, you want to stick with something above $50 to make it worth it, imo. Personally, I would spend a minimum of $100 (retail value). More likely $150-$200.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 8
Hmm, almost. Music is stored digitally whether on CD or encoded file (mp3 or whatnot); this is converted to analog by a DAC and the analog signal is amplified at another point so you can listen to it via headphones or speakers.

So digital-analog conversion is functionally distinct from analog amplification, and there are many different devices/configurations to build a pc setup that integrate these two functions in the same device, e.g. an internal soundcard, a USB soundcard, a USB DAC/headamp.

As an aside, optical output is still digital, this would be when the soundcard is acting as a source/transport to a DAC.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the replies
smily_headphones1.gif
- this is my understanding now:
HDD(source) -> Sound Card(DAC) -> Amp via analog preamp outputs -> Drivers via speaker level outputs (In my case, headphones)

So really the only thing PC related I need to worry about is the sound card, right? Otherwise I can post about a set of full sized cans + amp in their respective forums?

I'm not sure of a budget quite yet, I imagine this stuff can get quite pricey, so I have a feeling this setup will be step by step. Unfortunately, I am torn between gaming and music - I will be doing a lot of both, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a soundcard that can do 7.1 for gaming and stereo for music. Music is my priority here.

BTW, thanks for all the suggestions - I'll be looking at soundcards and foobar. Once I see what features I'll need out of a soundcard, I'll decide on a budget for one (while also keeping in mind a budget for the amp/phone)

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 8
There are pieces that you can find, DAC and AMP together.

Sound cards you should look at is:
- Asus Xonar Essence STX
- Auzentech X-Fi Forte

I have tried the STX, and I enjoy it very much... it might be something that interests you, it also has optical out from the card itself.

As you can see in my sig, I am using a iBasso D10 right now as my DAC and AMP, it's a portable amp but it's great since I travel with it with my Macbook.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 8
Also, HT OMEGAO Claro Halo is a great soundcard with decent amp.

Dont confuse preamp outputs with line level outputs. Preamp is an actual device, so when you say preamp outputs, people might think you're talking about outputs specifically on a preamp when you're really talk about line level outputs in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back