First Pair of True Headphones
Oct 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vrieevriee

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first post here! Been lurking for a while and I finally have something to post about.

I've been looking for a good pair of headphones for a while. For the past while, I've been buying some "quality" gaming headphones like Steelseries and such. Sound quality-wise I believed that the Siberias v2  were incredible and that people who did otherwise weren't choosing wisely. I soon realized how wrong I was.

I've tested headphones at music stores and using headphones that are truly created for the quality of the sound has such a big difference. I know, that should be common sense but I never really had a chance to try headphones. My question for you guys is, where do I start with my first pair? I've done my research and with the money I'd be willing to spend I had come up with the Grado SR60i's and Audio Technica ATH-AD700. So why don't I go with these?

I've heard some really good things about the SR60i's where the money to quality ratio is ridiculous, and I honestly think they're incredibly sexy looking. The reason I'm not going with them is that I'm looking for headphones I can take on the road, to school, etc. I've read that these headphones aren't good for this and that they leak a lot. Shucks .. 

Now with the AD700's, the two things that are keeping me away from them are that they seem to be too bulky for the road, a little big for my taste and I've heard that the quality of sound & sound stage is good, but I have this gut feel that the quality won't be what I'm looking for.. I don't know, sorry for not having accurate feelings about them. Contradict me if you'd like!

Music I listen to is Animal Collective, Mayhem, Alcest, Slowdive, Wolves in the Throne Room for examples and I listen to electronic as well, just so you can get an idea of what I'd be listening with the headphones.

So what else is on the market that would be around the price range [$100 to possibly $130] of these two, also based on my thoughts of the other ones? Willing to throw in a bit more cash if it's worth it. 

Thanks ahead. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 11
Yes, but only a little.

Quote:
Sorry, but does Design: Open mean that it will leak sound? Sorry I'm still new to this stuff.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 11
Yeah, why not? Just be careful with them. Don't put stuff on top of them, don't let them get wet, you know, basic stuff. They'll be fine.

Quote:
Also, are you sure those are headphones that should be used outside of my house? Like on the bus or at school ?

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Yeah, why not? Just be careful with them. Don't put stuff on top of them, don't let them get wet, you know, basic stuff. They'll be fine. 

I meant more like would lots of environmental sound leak into the headphones while wearing them to the point of music being too loud to overcome the environment? I don't live in that big of a city compared to New York and such but I do live in a capital of a province. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 11
A moderate amount would. You can't wear them during a class or something, but crossing the street and buying stuff in a shop, for example, should be fine. Is that what you mean? And you can always put them around your neck, with just about any headphone.

Quote:
I meant more like would lots of environmental sound leak into the headphones while wearing them to the point of music being too loud to overcome the environment? I don't live in that big of a city compared to New York and such but I do live in a capital of a province. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
A moderate amount would. You can't wear them during a class or something, but crossing the street and buying stuff in a shop, for example, should be fine. Is that what you mean? And you can always put them around your neck, with just about any headphone. 

For listening in class should I just stick to the basic IEM/earbuds? But yes that was basically what I was referring to. Thanks ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back