First pair of headphones (budget)
Aug 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BlankShot

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for an entry-level/budget pair of headphones for both music and gaming. Coming from 0 experience in good audio. (using crappy gaming headsets in the past)

Where: Mainly at home, would be an advantage if I could occasionally use it when travelling 
Audio Source: Laptop/iPhone/Lumia (don't have a sound card)
Price: Below 100 USD

I'm looking to get a decent pair of headphones along with the zalman mic for gaming purposes, I play DotA 2 and CS. I don't really care much for the gaming capability though, I'm more interested in experiencing better sound/music. (but it would still be an advantage if it was decent for gaming)

I was very convinced to get the JVC HARX700 after reading many posts about it on the site. That would have been my choice if not for the pricing. The great prices on amazon (USD 35-45) do not ship to my country and thus the best price I could get for it adds up to about SGD 65, and I was just wondering if I could just get something better by topping up a little. It is still a better deal than getting them in Singapore though, I've checked the prices and the headphones shop here is selling the RX700 at SGD 99, AFTER an 80% discount. 

I do not want the Panasonic RP-HTF600 or the Monoprice 8323 because I hate the designs. I think the RX700 looks pretty good. I think the Superlux HD668B looks okay but I still don't really like it.

I previously liked the KOSS PRODJ 100 for its design and having a nice size, seemingly more suitable for outdoor use than the RX700 which look pretty big. However, the comfort on the RX700 should be way better with those huge earcups and headband. The cost adds up to about SGD 90 if I opt for the KOSS as amazon ships here for the model. Would it be a better choice? (since it is only a $25 upgrade.)

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would like to hear any other recommendations too.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 5
I like these as well, looks simple and nice. I think I've eliminated the DJ100s for their lack of comfort and having to replace the earpads with M50 ones. I'm still tending towards the RX700 but can't decide whether I want to pay more to get some outdoor use.

How much of a step up would the uptown or hd439 be over the rx700, considering the prices? Also read about the issues with the uptown cable. From what I've read (http://www.head-fi.org/t/542879/jvc-ha-rx700-best-headphones-ever) the RX700 sounds as good as most $100 headphones and the only complaint is the 'muddy bass' according to the buying guide. 

I can't decide because the rx700 is a budget phone while the rest are entry level and I'm not exactly getting the budget price for the 700s. 

I can get the Sennheisers locally at these prices, online I'm unable to find a good price that ships here
HD439 is $129
HD429 is $119

What about the HD668B?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back