First pair of good headphones?
May 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Swamis

New Head-Fier
Hello All,
  I have never really strayed from my apple ear buds that came with my ipod. They hurt my ears really bad though, and after years of pain and bad sound quality I am looking to upgrade. I want something around the ear and it must cost no more than $80. I will be using these at work and at home so they don't have to be ultra portable, but with a cable no longer than like 6 feet. I am a girl so maybe some headphones on the smaller size so they don't take over my head. Any suggestions?

So far I am looking at the Sennheiser HD 419, the JVC HA-RX700, and the Grado sr80i. I really don't have experience here so I need some help!

May 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 31
Quote:
Hello All,
  I have never really strayed from my apple ear buds that came with my ipod. They hurt my ears really bad though, and after years of pain and bad sound quality I am looking to upgrade. I want something around the ear and it must cost no more than $80. I will be using these at work and at home so they don't have to be ultra portable, but with a cable no longer than like 6 feet. I am a girl so maybe some headphones on the smaller size so they don't take over my head. Any suggestions?

So far I am looking at the Sennheiser HD 419, the JVC HA-RX700, and the Grado sr80i. I really don't have experience here so I need some help!

Heya,

Shure SRH440
Sony V6 or 7506
Sennheiser HD280
CAD Audio MH310
Panasonic HTF600

Very best,

May 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 31
good to know! 

So after looking at the Panasonic HTF600s I have also started looking into the Incipio Forte f38s and the Monoprice 8323. Any thought on those? Looking for something that doesn't leak sound!

May 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:
good to know! 

So after looking at the Panasonic HTF600s I have also started looking into the Incipio Forte f38s and the Monoprice 8323. Any thought on those? Looking for something that doesn't leak sound!

The Monoprice 8323 is the least leaky of the bunch. The HTF600 is semi-open and the F38s leak a bit at loud volumes. 

May 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
this is gonna be a newb question, but that's what i am! is there any downside to a leaky can other than possibly annoying others?

Generally speaking good open cans have less bass then good closed cans in their price range.  On the up side, they generally have better sound stage.

May 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:
this is gonna be a newb question, but that's what i am! is there any downside to a leaky can other than possibly annoying others?

The main problem is the leakage both ways. You hear sounds nearly as well as you would without them on and anyone around you will hear the music like you do (though volume gets lower with distance obviously). Open cans are best suited for an area where it will be near silent for the best listening experience.

May 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 31
Heya,

Shure SRH440
Sony V6 or 7506
Sennheiser HD280
CAD Audio MH310
Panasonic HTF600

Very best,

I want to add the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones to that, they often sell for under $80. I got mine for $55 and they're a scorching deal for that price.

May 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:
The main problem is the leakage both ways. You hear sounds nearly as well as you would without them on and anyone around you will hear the music like you do (though volume gets lower with distance obviously). Open cans are best suited for an area where it will be near silent for the best listening experience.

thanks! sounds like i will be better off with closed cans. what is the best way to tell when buying if they are open or closed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back