First pair of decent headphones
Jun 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rextcon

New Head-Fier
Hi guys :) My Phillips headphones (Only over-ear headphones i ever had) recently broke, and when i went back to in-ears I realized I was missing out on a decent amount of comfort. Thus, I have created this thread hoping that someone might help me choose a new pair of over-ear headphones with a maximum budget of around $200-$250 as I live overseas and prices are really odd around here :) 

I don't really need portability as I'll be using it mostly at home and in my boarding dorm
Its probably best that it doesn't leak a lot of noise as I have a dorm mate and angry dorm mates are....... yeah (This is optional if not available in my price range)
I'm hoping it has at least decent sound quality
I listen to a lot of highs so i don't want them to be warbling. I also listen to a decent amount of mids and lows so for the mids I want the sound to be accurate and for the lows I don't want it to be too overwhelming
Maybe if its possible have no muddy sound?
Comfort wise I will be wearing this for at least 2-4 hours a day, at most 6-10 hours a day so I hope it doesn't hurt too much after that. (I'm sorry if its too much to ask)

I'm not sure if I can get these for the price? Please let me know if I set the price too low.... I'm kinda new to the headphones thing

Thanks for your time :)

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the quick reply! I am looking through the list now but I really can't tell what I would like :frowning2: These are my first good pair so I have no idea what a clear high or a recessed mid or a thumping low would sound like

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 16
Soundmagic HP100 might be a good choice for you. They are fairly neutral headphones (play all frequencies equally) and have good detail resolution. They are closed headphones, which seems the best choice if you want isolation from your roommates.

They are available from international vendors, so maybe pricing would be good for you: http://www.mp4nation.net/headphones-earphones/soundmagic

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Get the Abyss AB-1266!

Kiddin!:D

UE 6000 or V-moda lp2 you can get them below $100 at amazon.

I would also suggest the audio technica ath-m50x because they are at your price range.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 16
Oh I see. I heard that the Beyerdynamics DT770 needs an amp. Any recommendations?

It depends on which version you have.  If you have a 250 Ohm version, it will.

I don't favor the sound signature of the DT 700--mids are way too recessed for my taste.  So someone else will have to help you with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back