First pair of decent headphones, Mostly used for on campus.
Apr 3, 2014 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fallensurvivorz

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone at Head-FI,
       So I have decided to buy my first pair of decent headphones, the best quality I've owned are creative fatal1ty mkII. I recently tried out my sisters beats solo hd's and my dads Bose OE2 and they sounded amazing (at least compared to what I've used so far). I know with those headphones your paying a lot for the brand and not actually quality so I figured I'd ask you guys.

I will mostly wear these outside on campus, in the library, or studying in student center. I'd like something that has decent noise isolation to drown out all the noise of the outside world. A big factor is also how much noise the headphones leak out because I'd rather not disturb someone in the library. So closed ear is going to be a must, I will be carrying them around my neck most of the time so i'd like something that's not very large kinda like the v-moda m80, MDR-1R, or DT1350. I'd like to have something with a solid build the beats solo hd's feel like they will crumble at at any moment when I hold them.

I will be running them off my phone or my computer.

General criteria:
* Solid build quality (not cheap like beats solo hd's)
* Decent isolation and little to no noise leak (closed ear, used outside, in library, and in student center)
* Comfortable for at least 2-4 hours
* Clear sound, good mids, decent-good bass (Mostly used for pop, rock, alt, techno)
* Somewhat small-med design (used around campus, carried around neck)
* If possible I'd like one with a removable cord from the headphones themselves

My budget under $200 and I'm fine with buying it used.

Thank you, I appreciate your suggestions

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 10
  The Onkyo ES-FC300 and ES-HF300 are worthy of your consideration.  See:

[link] innerfidelity com/content/delightful-onkyo-es-fc300-and-es-hf300

This seems to be what i'm looking for but a lot of people say they are uncomfortable. Any other ideas?

The V-moda m80 also seem to be close to what I want, does anyone know how much sound they leak?

​Thanks for replying.

Also sorry for posting this twice.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 10
I don't have comfort problems with the Onkyo, but then comfort is a very individual thing.

I haven't spent much time with the V-moda, so I can't tell you.  I can say that their on ear cans that I have tried do not rate high on my comfort chart.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks I noticed you can get them on their website cheaper than you can on amazon, it offers a 60 test drive so I think that means pretty much try them out if you don't like them then send them back for full refund(hopefully). I'll also do some more looking into those your showed me.

-Thanks

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 10
I don't have comfort problems with the Onkyo, but then comfort is a very individual thing.

I agree. I thought the Onkyos were pretty comfortable when I demoed them because they had a little bit bigger pads than many on ear headphones. I also think that they would work extremely well for your listening genres. :)

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Can you explain what the two ports on the headphones are for, are both needed when listening to music? I know some headphones use 2 in case one port fails and others use each port for L and R side headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back