First pair of closed back headphones
Nov 29, 2015 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

x1cmb11

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! Long time lurker, decided to finally make a profile.

As the tittle states I am looking to buy my first pair of headphones. My budget is around $200. I've only used earbuds and IEMs in the past so this is a new world to me. I want to use these first and foremost for recreational listening, but it would also be nice to use them when recording to track and mix if I don't want to use my IEMs or monitors. I don't need the eq to be super flat, I have that covered, but nothing too drastic to where it would throw something off. Just a nice compliment to see if a mix sounds good. Music wise, I listen to everything, but mostly rock and its sub genres. I don't want to have to use these with an amp, so the ability to be used with just a smartphone is important to me.

I know that open backed headphones are better for this sort of thing, but I like closed backed to avoid sound leakage if I'm using these when traveling. A wide soundstage would be nice, and I know that that's where open backs shine, but coming from ear buds, I feel that even closed back are going to be miles better in that regard.

A few options that I've seen mentioned are the Audio Technica ATH M50x, the Beyerdynamic DT770, and the AKG K553. I'm not stuck on these, just see them mentioned a lot, so please, any recommendations welcome.

Sorry if this is confusing, it's hard for me to get my thoughts down to the keyboard, so if you guys need clarification on anything, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks in advance!

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 19
Could you give some reference songs so we can see what kind of sound signature you'd be best with?

Personally I'd go with the AKG K553, just really like them.
M50x are somewhat bassy (but its clean) however they are pretty overrated. I mean, they definitely are great, but if you compare them to things of the same price range, they aren't as 'great' as they seem. 
I'm not saying the M50x is no good, I'm just saying to be a bit careful about what people say when they're calling the M50x some sort of holy grail for the price. They are pretty overrated, too much hype for no reason. It's just generally recommended for like the first step to Hi-Fi, that is of course, if you were stepping from something like Beats.

Anyways K553 or V-Moda M100 if you can find a discount for now.

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 19
Could you give some reference songs so we can see what kind of sound signature you'd be best with?

Yeah, sure. I don't know if you need specific songs or if I can just give you my most listened to artists?

My most played artists are probably Foo Fighters, Muse, Dredg, Ryan Adams, Young the Giant, and Colony House, but I also like pop stuff like Abba and the most recent Taylor Swift record as well as more acoustic driven music like Jack Johnson and Tommy Emanuel. I really just listen to every genre except straight up classical, unless there is some sort of orchestrated part of another song that I'm listening too. If this doesn't help let me know, I can get more specific

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 19
Saw Sennheiser HD600's on the home page advertised for $249.95. I know, it's $50 over budget, but if you can wing it, might be a good option? The 600's are a great go to for a clean natural sound and should be a good compromise for casual / recreational listening as well as recording / mixing tracks. I know they are a firm favourite by many for recording purposes due to their neutrality. 

Plus I reckon some Ryan Adams and Muse will sound good on them. :) 

Nov 30, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 19
Yup yup even though they are open headphones, they are the holy grail of headphones when it comes to Hi-Fi. Any other headphones that aren't 'not as good' are either Summit-Fi or like a side step into whatever suits your tastes.
HD600 is well known for also being the absolute safest choice when it comes to headphones.
It may be open but damn is it a holy grail. I personally have a pair with a Schiit Vali.

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 19
I think the ATH M50x are overrated as well, unless you want boomy bass.

Do you want a basshead type headphone even if it's a little boomy, or do you want a more neutral sound signature?

If the latter and you can stretch to $250, I recommend checking out the NAD HP50. To me it has the best tonal balance of closed cans in its price range, and in particular is the only one I've heard to get the bass right - it has enough to give proper weight to the music but not too much to be boomy or overpower the rest of the sound.  

If you want to keep it cheaper look at the NVX XPT100. It's maybe not as well-known but is a well-balanced headphone that doesn't do anything really wrong, and is a great value at < $100.

Both the HP50 and XPT100 have very good soundstage for closed headphones, about equal to most open ones in their price range. You don't need an amp with either. 

I agree the HD600 are better than any of the above and an incredible value at $250, but they are open and you would need an amp.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 19
Well, realistically I can probably spend closer to $300. I don't know if that helps anything or not? I've heard a lot of good things about the hd600, I just really wanted closed back, but I'll still keep it as an option.

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 19
Do you want a basshead type headphone even if it's a little boomy, or do you want a more neutral sound signature?

I like bass a lot, but I don't like it to overpower everything else. I play guitar and one of my favorite things is being able to hear all of the layered guitar tracks in a mix. But at the same time, driving bass is awesome. I don't know if there is a balance between the two or if I'm being unreasonable, haha.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 19
Well, realistically I can probably spend closer to $300. I don't know if that helps anything or not? I've heard a lot of good things about the hd600, I just really wanted closed back, but I'll still keep it as an option.

How will you be driving the headphones?

Listen to the Sony MDR-7520 and Focal Spirit Pros before you purchase any pair of closed headphones.  

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 19
How will you be driving the headphones?

Listen to the Sony MDR-7520 and Focal Spirit Pros before you purchase any pair of closed headphones.  

Most of the time it will just be my iPhone 6+, iPad Air 2, or rMBP. I didn't want to have to worry about using an amp on the go if I don't have to. If I used it when recording, it would either be plugged directly into the Focusrite for tracking or plugged into my computer for mixing or listening back.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 19
Most of the time it will just be my iPhone 6+, iPad Air 2, or rMBP. I didn't want to have to worry about using an amp on the go if I don't have to. If I used it when recording, it would either be plugged directly into the Focusrite for tracking or plugged into my computer for mixing or listening back.

Gotcha.   In your quest, you will need to watch the impedance and sensitivity specs of the headphones people are suggesting.

The Senn HD600 needs an amp to sound good.   Again, I suggest the Sony or Focal but if you have to have a Senn, check out the HD 380 Pro.  Sounds good, 54 ohm impedance, and within your price range.

Good luck!

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 19
Gotcha.   In your quest, you will need to watch the impedance and sensitivity specs of the headphones people are suggesting.

The Senn HD600 needs an amp to sound good.   Again, I suggest the Sony or Focal but if you have to have a Senn, check out the HD 380 Pro.  Sounds good, 54 ohm impedance, and within your price range.

Good luck!

Oh, I'm definitely looking at more than just Sennheiser. I'll have to see if I can try out the two that you mentioned. I mainly just want to know of all the good options out there before I commit. I know I'm not spending that much compared to what some headphones cost, but I don't want to rush into this and miss out on something. Thanks for the suggestions and luck though!

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 19
Well then, you are in luck!  If you can stretch your budget to $300-350, you will be in the sweet spot of headphones - lots of bang for the buck around that range.

Is open headphones ok?  Philips X2 are great.

These should be on your research list - Sony MDR-7520, Focal Spirit Pro, Senn HD 380 Pro, Philips X2, Oppo PM3, NAD HP50, PSB M4U.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 19

Is open headphones ok?  Philips X2 are great.

I was trying to keep them closed mainly for when I travel, that way i can keep my music in and the rest of the world out.

As far as budget stretching, I don't know if i'll be able to spend over $300 by much, maybe the tax on a $300 pair, but ideally it would be at or under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back