First pair of big boy cans... Need help.
Jun 30, 2008 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dr13zehn

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking into buying my first full sized cans (not counting various gaming headsets I owned). I have narrowed my search down to 2 or 3 headphones.

The main ones I am looking at are the Ultrasone HFI780 and the Denon D2000.
I am also interested in the Beyerdynamic 770/80. They are probably not quite in the same ballpark as the other two, but considering they can be had for around $150, they seem like a good bargain.

The equipment I mostly use to listen to music right now is portable. A Cowon D2 with Ety ER-4P. I have a Corda 2move in the mail, so driving the bigger cans will not be a problem (if there is one).
I love the sound of my ER-4Ps. I like the detail and speed.
It would be nice to have the big cans be at least nearly as detailed as the Etys but with more (more, more...) bass without getting muddy.

Next thing I am looking for in the 'phones is how well they respond to modification. This interests me because I think it will be a great way to get over potentially getting bored of the headphones over time.
I have read that HFI780s take mods very well and the SQ increases in big strides.
The DT770s can be turned into Darths, which seem to be very popular as well.
I know very little about how well the D2000s respond to mods.

Comfort is also important, though from everything I've read, all 3 are pretty comfy, with the DT770s probably being the best in that respect.

Sooo... Considering what I will be using as a source and what I want from them, which of the 3 would you Head-Fiers recommend the most.

Thanks,

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 6
For gaming, I would recommend he DT 770/80. They're comfortable, sound great, and can indeed be found for $150 new. They can also be modified (as you have said) and be turned into Darth Beyers (which I've heard will offer some fantastic bass).

The Denon's have a warm-ish sound (great bass as well).They remind me of the HD650 without being so "smokey/silky" smooth. They're probably my favorite warm can.

I've never heard the HFI-780, so I don't know what it sounds like. I've heard the Proline 2500, and while I was impressed with the high and lows, the midrange was a bit too recessed for my liking.

Truthfully, you really couldn't go wrong with any three. Now it just down to what kind of sound you want (hopefully someone will chime in on the ultrasones).

Nylan

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 6
The 780s do speed great (I listen to lots of speed and thrash metal, and they keep up). They can get a bit uncomfortable - the clamp pressure isn't overly strong, but it can get a bit tiring after a while, and the earpads and headband pad are extremely hard.

I've used them for some gaming, but I honestly like the 2500s better for that aspect than the 780s.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am leaning towards the Denons right now, but am worried about them being warm sounding. Is detail going to be sacrificed for warmth?
Also, would they tighten up a bit if one would use an adapter to raise the impedance on top of using a headphone amp. If so, and if someone has used that setup with these, is there a sweet spot of what impedance to use (25,50,75ish... Ohm)?

Thanks again,

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 6
As far as modding goes, the D2000's are also pretty mod-able. Take a look at markl's post about modding the D5000's, you can do basically all the same things to the D2000's with similar gains in quality. All of them you can even do yourself if that was what you were interested in doing with mods
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 6
I had the HFI-780's for a little while. Was trading around just to try out different flavors. Liked them quite a bit but just couldn't see them taking the place of my Grado 325's and didn't want to see them just lying around so off they went to another Headfier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back