First Pair: D2000 vs SRH840 vs K271 MKII...
Dec 26, 2009 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tlazarus

New Head-Fier
Hello -

I know that first pair threads have been beaten to death. With this in mind, I spent the last 2 weeks reading through review after review elsewhere, then focusing down my search a bit, then reading thread after thread here on each model I was considering. I think I've narrowed it down to 3 models, albeit with concerns for each. I have plugged each model into the search engine here and read the first 5 pages or so of results, so I am pretty up to speed on SOME of the pros/cons to each. But I am looking for more focused comments/suggestions based on my specific criteria, which I listed below.

--Denon D2000 - questions about build quality, and if it can handle a daily commute (!). Was a first choice until I read numerous complaints about this. Additionally, lots of questions about running it unamped. May not have enough isolation, which is also a big problem.
--Shure SRH840 - Just second guessing them, since there may be better out there. Were my 1st choice initially. Is it worth paying more for the Denon or AKG?
--AKG K271 MKII - Currently most expensive of the bunch at Amazon. Worth the premium, given my requirements?

They will used:

--at home, where I do not currently have a nice audio setup. Headphones will be replacing my initial desire to buy a nice receiver + expensive speakers. Amp probably in my future, but do not own one currently. Will be using my computer as a source.
--on the train while commuting to work. Source will be iPhone 3gs or sometimes laptop.
--at work. Source will be my laptop.

I am looking for the following in a pair, although not necessarily in this order:

-- available from AMAZON. Have a $50 gift card there. Will look elsewhere, but only if absolutely necessary (i.e. a $200/pair are available used for $100, etc.)
-- a step up from my current Sennheiser PXC250s. Not so great on the train, although they work well on the plane
-- closed, circumaural headphones with good isolation (see above)
-- Great soundscape!!
-- nice mellow bass, mids, etc. Like to come home after a long day, put these on, and lose myself in the music. Do not need thumping bass!
-- compatible with a wide range of music (60s, 80s, 90s, etc -> mostly rock)
-- fairly easily driven (sound great with an iPhone) but sound even better with an amp.

Hope everyone had a great holiday (be it Hanukkah, Christmas, or something else) and look forward to hearing some comments. Hope this first thread isn't too long, and I don't sound too uneducated - I did my homework first, I promise!
biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Tim

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 10
The K271 does not belong in the easily driven category from what I heard. The D2000 hardly isolate so you're left with SRH-840 by elimination. I'd tell you more about the 840 but my pair has yet to arrive from shipping!

You might want to invest in a uDAC now btw. Has a very nice DAC to improve your source and provides some amping to get more out of your cans. It gets you started very well for 99$.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 10
jp_zer0 -

Hmm.... Worth purchasing a portable amp just to get the K271s? Hate to be restricted to one pair after all the research I did
smily_headphones1.gif
Interestingly enough, the K271s are only 55 ohms, which I thought was pretty low and should be easily driven. Will have to go back and do some more reading.

Thanks! Let me know how your SRH-840s sound when you get them...

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Shure SRH840 will definitely be the best out of those three for OPs needs. Denon D2000 gives little isolation and is too big and doesn't clamp enough for portable use - it'll probably keep sliding off your head. AKG K271 is also way too large and is very hard to drive - without an amp it sounds very boring and muffled. SRH840 sounds fine without an amp and great with an amp and has excellent isolation and sufficient clamping force for portable use IMO.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Wow - all great comments. Any thoughts on purchasing the SRH-840 from a random reseller on Amazon, or should I definitely go straight through Amazon since it is an authorized reseller? I'd obviously love to save $50, but not if it means having headphones with no warranty.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 10
My interest in in the akg k271.
I have had the ah-d2000 but had problems with the recessed mids.
So I wanted more mids in a closed headphone.
As for price, akg k271 is the cheapest. At headroom, they have a b stock for $140 and someone is selling a brand new pair on used headfi for $100.

as for ah-d2000, if you do the markl modd by stuffing the ear pads, it isolates better because the fit is tighter.

So my question is, how does the akg k271 compare in detail to the ah-d2000.
Headroom considers the ah-d2000 a reference pick for closed headphone but the akg k271 is not rated as high as the denons.

anyone prefer the detail and midrange of the akg 271 over the denons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back