First outing as a buyer, potentially HD650's but...
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. Denon d5k sounds like it's within the limit of your budget and it's generally well-favoured around here for its bassy and impactful presentation so it's a no brainer start if you're just starting out. I'd just throw in Ultrasones should you demand better isolation than Denon's counterparts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasto_Brandino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the Denon AHD5000's

The D5k are £400 over here - way outside OP budget I think

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 24
Generally speaking, compressed audio will sound as good as it ever will on better equipment. However, the difference between compressed audio and uncompressed (or just higher-bitrate compression) will be more apparent as well. Thus many people get "spoiled" to the sound of lossless compression or higher sampling rates (96/24) and then find their old MP3's to sound "lifeless" or "flat" in comparison.

The exception to this rule is if you get headphones with an "airy" sound signature. Often lossy compression artifacts are audible way up in the audio spectrum. El-cheapo freebie earbuds don't reproduce those frequencies well, if at all. Something like a Senn HD600 or ATH-AD700 will - and that makes those artifacts more obvious.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello fellow Brit! Welcome to Head-Fi! (Sorry about your wallet)

£230 is a decent budget to work with especially if you're not averse to considering used gear. Tell me though, some info from my questions about your info.

1) During the times when you'll be using this headphone rig, will you be in the house? You mention your iPad/Macbook, but is wall power an option? If you're also intending to use the headphones for out-and-about portable use in additon to at home then we (the great unwashed masses of headphone geeks, nerds, gurus and fools) have to operate from a very different starting point before we start spamming you with "buy what I like because I like it" and varients thereof. You're going to get A LOT of names thrown at you like bricks in this thread based on what other people own and like, with greater or lesser consideration to your situation. Take all opinions with a pinch of salt and if you possibly can (and you can) listen before you buy.

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome everybody and the informed opinions - really appreciate it! So many things to comment on but I guess I'll answer this post and then comment at the bottom in more detail as to everybody's feedback.

Definitely, a power socket will be available! I don't intend on using my iPad as a portable device as such (have an iPhone for web surfing on the go). However, the less cables - the better, of course. Especially with iPad's battery life being in the 10+ hours. Although, my MacBook (I'm sure) will remain my favourite device to play music with.

Quote:

2) The TV need not be a major consideration unless it plays rather loud (TV sound will intrude on you through your headphones) or sound which might disturb the TV-viewers would be ill-apt (sound from your headphones will intrude on the viewers) Which way round would it be? Open backed headphones (almost) always sound better per £ than closed ones.

I can honestly say that the TV won't be too loud, however, the sound system is a home cinema surround sound set and I think that it would definitely intrude on the sound. That said, after hearing the recommendation of the first replier, who recommended the HD 201's (which are around £13), I may just go for them with the HD 650's for listening in my bedroom and when the house is free... which may sound like a much better option?

Quote:

3) You love hip-hop. Are you a basshead? That is, does a bass response which: A) goes very low. B) Has a very clean articulate quality. or C) Hits you with a big whack. You main preference? (at your budget, you'll have difficulty getting any combination of two which isn't A+B [see below about Stax])

I'm all about the lyrics/vocals tbh, I love hip hop (especially underground emcees) who discuss matters other than ladies and drugs with whom are more articulate. I also like the intricacies of tracks more so than the bass. But, don't get me wrong, if you're into hip hop and you know Dead Prez's Hip Hop - I still enjoy some good bass! If I had to choose from your options I'd go with the A+B combo.

Quote:

All other practical considerations aside, at £230, I'd be heading for, no doubt in my mind, a Stax 2020 Basic or 2050 Basic system (used). These pop up on ebay.co.uk or indeed here in the For Sale Forum with no degree of magical rarity (although there will always be Stax gold diggers on ebay expecting megabucks for unremarkable gear, so watch out for them). That though, is just my heavily biased personal opinion. (Big Stax fan)
biggrin.gif

lol thanks for the comments as to your recommendations... they look a really nice set... however, I would like to buy headphones that are new - if possible. Because it's my first experience, I'd like to burn in a pair and think I'd enjoy the 'burning them in process'... that probably sounds really nerdy though or stupid... it's just what I imagine...
redface.gif

Quote:

In response to your questions:

1) So long as they're not awful, even lossy audio files will sound better through a decent set of headphones.

2) Again, how loud is the television? Is it always on?

Not always on, no... but time is hard pressed as it is and I'd possibly use them at school (I'm a teacher) so... from 3-6pm when I'm marking and assessing, planning and other things, I'd likely listen to them then... today, I listened to the Sony MDRXD100 HiFi Headphones which belong to the school and retail for around £13, they sound so much better than in ear buds (of Apple's range). This honestly just made me want to listen to my music in a lower volume in a quiet setting and for the first time, I could relate to comments here about "playing music loud - shame on you".

Quote:

3) You should certainly be open to the idea of closed, as it were. Isolation is very often worth the loss of sound quality which comes from "closing in".

Is the difference huge?

Quote:

4) The HD650 are excellent all-round, with an additional fullness in the low end over the HD600 which will serve well for your choice in music, but they really will not perform at all from the ouput of something like a laptop.

See what you think on Friday, but listen for as long as you can. "New Toy Syndrome" often makes things seem better than they might be.

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately, the trip to the store has been cancelled... which almost makes me just want to purchase a set just from comments on here (I can always return to amazon).

With regards to everyone else's comments:

Thank you! They have been really helpful.

Firstly, I think that I could eventually buy a good amp or if it would not be that expensive (i.e. under £100), I may buy along with my first pair of headphones (still at around £230, bringing a total of £330).

Secondly, the main pull of the 650's for me personally, are the comments of it's trueness with regards to track quality, the way that the musicians intended. The second pull is that they're said to be extremely comfortable (and I listen to music in exceptionally long stints at times - all night until 3am (weekends, with a few beers if I'm not out)).

Lastly, the reason I'm straining away from buying a £50 - £100 pair of headphones is because I'm likely to stick with them for a very long time. I take care of all of my equipment and always heavily research things before buying them (as I'm sure many of you here do). Therefore, when I see an old pair of headphones like the 650's being raved over after years of release and reading such great reviews - about build quality also (which put me off the beats), then I don't know, I think that's the pull that has me right now.

The Beyerdynamic DT880's look impressive too, that's a nice recommendation!

Thanks, sorry for my over-detailed feedback, just didn't want you to think your advice had gone to waste.
L3000.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #19 of 24
If someone could give me feedback on the above statements, I'd really appreciate it. More specifically, if you can recommend and amp < £100 and state that it'd be a good investment or just an amp to prolong the time in between my next purchase.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #20 of 24
Sounds like a good plan. Is Sage Francis one of those people you listen to?

I will second the comfort of the HD6** series, It is very very nice (tho some people have posted about a "clamping effect", I have not had problems)

I myself am looking for a cheap solid state dac/amp for the senns and this seems like the one I'll get.

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 24
I think if you're looking for a set of phones that will satisfy you for years to come, you could not go wrong with the HD650. If amped properly there is not a genre in the world that they will not do magic with, they are exceptionally comfortable and well built (yeah there is a bit of a clamp but the pads are so soft this is not uncomfortable for me).

In terms of good budget amps - using the headfi classifieds is the best way to go. You should be able to buy something and if you don't like it sell it on again and try something else.

Luckily there are about a billion "recommend me a budget dac/amp" threads to be found on head-fi, so you should be able to find plenty of recommendations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 24
hmmm.. i think there is a can that is perfect for what you need,
check out audio technica es10, I got it below hd650 price but it all depends on where you buys it from

I think this is one of the best if not the best portable cans for hip hop, rivalling many fullsize counterpart, the bass will suprise you,
it even have more impact then my hd650 being a closed can,
dont worry, the vocals wont be pushed out, it is still clear
no amp is needed, can be enjoyed straight from the hp out..
and it will isolate better than hd650

some caveat
comfort wise, its sits on your ear rather than around it so comfort is totally up to the person, (myself personally i really like its comfort better than hd650 which clamps more)
and es10 can be hot at times during summer

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a good plan. Is Sage Francis one of those people you listen to?

I will second the comfort of the HD6** series, It is very very nice (tho some people have posted about a "clamping effect", I have not had problems)

I myself am looking for a cheap solid state dac/amp for the senns and this seems like the one I'll get.

To be honest, as much as I know of Sage Francis and Strange Famous Records, I checked out B. Dolan's stuff and found him a little weird and as much as I shouldn't, I kinda seen him as representation as to what the label distributes... rightly or wrongly?

I listen to K-Os, K'Naan, Nas, CYNE, Nujabes, The Roots, Fashawn, CunninLynguists, Little Brother, RJD2 and the like...

Thanks for the link to the DAC, I can't seem to find it online through a UK courier... but does seem to be well rated... would an amp such as this do a pair of HD650's justice through a MacBook? Under £100 seems fair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if you're looking for a set of phones that will satisfy you for years to come, you could not go wrong with the HD650. If amped properly there is not a genre in the world that they will not do magic with, they are exceptionally comfortable and well built (yeah there is a bit of a clamp but the pads are so soft this is not uncomfortable for me).

In terms of good budget amps - using the headfi classifieds is the best way to go. You should be able to buy something and if you don't like it sell it on again and try something else.

Luckily there are about a billion "recommend me a budget dac/amp" threads to be found on head-fi, so you should be able to find plenty of recommendations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the tips, I'll do a search!

Thanks for the feedback too... I thought there would be more people recommending the 650's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feiraron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm.. i think there is a can that is perfect for what you need,
check out audio technica es10, I got it below hd650 price but it all depends on where you buys it from

I think this is one of the best if not the best portable cans for hip hop, rivalling many fullsize counterpart, the bass will suprise you,
it even have more impact then my hd650 being a closed can,
dont worry, the vocals wont be pushed out, it is still clear
no amp is needed, can be enjoyed straight from the hp out..
and it will isolate better than hd650

some caveat
comfort wise, its sits on your ear rather than around it so comfort is totally up to the person, (myself personally i really like its comfort better than hd650 which clamps more)
and es10 can be hot at times during summer

Yeah, I just did a search for the es10's and they're an extra £100 at £330.

This does sound like a convenient set of 'phones though, anyone else got an opinion on these? (not to undermine you, just better to have more people's opinions).

Would I be better off with the es10's overall? As in, if I eventually buy an amp would the HD 650's be a much better set? They seem to be rated as the best 'phones in the price range and Sennheiser seem to have a really good reputation after speaking to a Sound Engineer who swore by the HD 650's.

What do you mean by the es10's being hot during the summer? As in wearing them outside they get hot and therefore it's a negative? Sorry, noob'ish question.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 24
My last message went to the administrators who haven't approved it... don't know why, maybe a fault on the forum?

Anyways, I ended up purchasing the HD 650's, I've also plucked up the money for a Little Dot MK I which I'll import from China - hoping that's a good choice, I've spent 7 hours today on this forum and the web (mostly this forum) researching everything to death and I think with the Little Dot, it's a nice purchase (hopefully) and maybe in the future I'll buy a dedicated amp, but for the time being I think this is a decent setup?

Hope so anyways, for downstairs I went with the HD 201's as recommended in the thread, I'll hook them up with the amp n hopefully be a decent 2nd pair behind the 650's for when I want to sit back and be overjoyed. They'll arrive before 1pm tuesday, can't wait!!

Thank you to all posters who were really helpful, I'll be sure to comeback and be an avid reader and hopefully future knowledgeable contributor to the forum - whoever said "Sorry about your wallet" was right... £330 is a £100 more than I expected to pay (and that was at a reach). But I'm glad I visited (at least at this moment I am!)

*EDIT* will an EU cable work in the UK?

As I think we use a 3 prong adaptor for our plug's... obviously a noob's question, but if someone can clear that up - thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back